2024 Ford Ranger

Gallowbraid

Adventurist
What an odd way to start a release video. The truck doesn't show up until a minute in.

But it sure does look nice.

1683760425815.png

Didn't see anything groundbreaking in the press releases I've read so far. Wheelbase got longer and the truck got wider (how long before it's just an F150?) The frame was "reworked" (sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo). Raptor variant supposedly will have 400+hp and 430ft lb of torque. I've seen towing specs (not for the Raptor) of 7800lbs which is nice. Everything else looks like the same features as the rest of the Ford line: trailer back up assist, exterior lighting options, FX4 package gives you a rear locker, and there are television sized screens in the dash. Glad to see Ford is holding firm with their promise to keep climate controls as physical buttons and knobs instead of electronic.

Integrated bedside step is nice, but looks like it might mess with aftermarket bumper options. I saw somewhere it has a weight limit of 300lbs so there must be some support back there that's more than bed sheet metal.

1683761146541.png

A current year Lariat trim Ranger with the Tremor package has an MSRP of $49,380. I'm guessing that will put the 2024 Raptor Variant close to, if not just above $60k. Vehicle prices are out of control.

Styling wise, I think the last Ranger looked good. This one blurs the line between it and the F-150... Another blunder brought to you by the company that feels it has to sell electric crossover SUVs with the name of the original pony car. These "mid-size" trucks continue to grow larger. Sadly, a product of every dumbass that buys a mid-size truck and then complains about the size of the interior. The Raptor version, I'm sure will look good, but I know we can count on a factory "long travel" truck to not deliver in payload... goes with the territory. This one is a bit underwhelming for me.

Edit: I read before watching the video. The Raptor is also uninspiring and sounds worse than the ecoboost F-150 Raptor... and that is saying something.

Last edited:
I think they both look good. The takeaway I have for any Ford product "we engineer them to last 10 years" Ford engineer last summer that I had the privilege to speak with.

The Ranger Raptor has a twin-turbo V6, just over 400 HP, 10 speed auto trans. Flared fenders, like the F150 Raptor.

All starting at $57K.

Wonder what the dealer markup will be?

Oh, the truck weighs about 1000 lbs more than the Tacoma, and the towing capacity is less than the Tacoma.

I think they both look good. The takeaway I have for any Ford product "we engineer them to last 10 years" Ford engineer last summer that I had the privilege to speak with.

Sadly, that part is likely true across most manufacturers today whether we like it or not.

Oh, the truck weighs about 1000 lbs more than the Tacoma, and the towing capacity is less than the Tacoma.

This for 2024? I haven't seen specs yet.

For 2023.

A max capacity Tacoma is a 4x2 2.7L SR w/ 1,685lbs payload, 3500lbs tow & GVWR of 5600lbs. A MT TRD Pro, 1,135lbs payload, 6,400 tow & GVWR as the SR.

A max capacity Ranger is a 4x2 2.3L Ecoboost XL w/ 1,905 payload, 7,500lbs tow & GVWR of 6050. A Tremor, 1,478lbs payload, 7,500lbs tow & GVWR as the XL.

Ranger only has a 18gal gas tank though. In perspective my Crosstrek has a 16gal. Plus the Tremor package comes with the same 2.3L Ecoboost as the XL.

That’s crazy. My 2005 Tacoma had a 21-ish tank, the Gladiator is a solid 22 gallons.

That's the same for a 3rd gen Tacoma.

Yeah, I’d say if the 24 Ranger does indeed get an 18 gallon tank that’s a real buzzkill…

… short legs from the factory.

2023 4WD Ranger has a combined 22 mpg and the Tremor has 19 mpg. 2023 4WD Tacoma's combined is 20 mpg with 18 for the manual.

They're equivalent in range capacity unloaded but most of us don't fall into a demographic that keeps it that way.

Back
Top Bottom