Trump's 03 Tacoma

Just adding a couple pictures from the weekend.

apasy3um.jpg

...and for scale

y6era9yr.jpg

Both from Fish Creek in Anza Borrego.

Mark I like your nav stuff. Make me want to sell the lowrance chart plotter.

Thanks, I am very satisfied with how well it works. I doubt you would miss the Lowrance... although, it was the best of its day and is still a great unit.

wow! really like the way you have done your tacoma, not to mention the great pictures you've taken.

if you don't mind, could you answer two questions?

1) are those stock toyota steelies from the FJ Cruiser?

2) with this tire/rim combo and that backspacing i'm assuming you get no rub? it looks soo spot on.

3)what did you do for the matte black on the hood to reduce glare?

okay, that's 3 questions, sorry about that. i'm just curious as i have a 03 tacoma in the same color combo, with a 2.5" OME kit and would love to have my truck setup like yours. i realize you have more suspension but i just have nobody local to confirm that i could get those tires under my rig. i have the stock aluminum 16x7 rims, it's a 3.4 TRD truck.

thanks again, hope you don't mind. oh, and it goes without saying that everything you did to the flip pac is just awesome!

wow! really like the way you have done your tacoma, not to mention the great pictures you've taken.

if you don't mind, could you answer two questions?

Thanks for the kind words. Sure, I can help you out.

1) are those stock toyota steelies from the FJ Cruiser?

No, these are the steelies from a 4runner IIRC (4.75" BS). To my knowledge all FJC steelies are 17x7.5"

2) with this tire/rim combo and that backspacing i'm assuming you get no rub? it looks soo spot on.

I haven't had any problems with rubbing. You will need to do the normal clearance mods to safely run this tire if you haven't already (pinch weld). I did have light rubbing with my old combo on the frame. those were 285/75/16's on 16x8 (4.5) backspacing.

3)what did you do for the matte black on the hood to reduce glare?

The hood blackout is available from Crawlorado. FYI take your time on the install... tons of soapy water and a competent friend.

Last edited:
hey thanks so much for the answers! that really helps. i think i found the rims from a recycler on ebay. i looked up the toyota part number, seems to be a pretty common rim for them.

i haven't done the pinch weld mod yet, i just have the aluminum 16x7 wheels with BFG 265/75 R16 AT's (old style) and they rub a tick on the frame, but not too noticeable. would really like to go to the 255/85's like you are running. the tall tire looks like the old 33x9.50 BFG use to make. I'll look into the Pinch Weld mod, i'm sure its discussed somewhere. I run the KM2's on my old Scrambler and love that tread anyhow.

I use to do vinyl for a company, but i'm a bit out of practice, i'll enlist my buddy who still does it, make sure i don't screw it up:)

I really appreciate the help, very nice of you to answer the questions i'm sure you've answered a million times. really enjoy this site, just finally got around to joining. Thanks again, hope your Tacoma is still doing well and that the adventuring is awesome.

No worries. You'll be able to find tons of info on the pinch weld, but let me know if you need some help finding it. If you did vinyl before, you should be just fine... You already know the tricks. Sadly the truck will remain in storage for a couple more years. Welcome aboard, glad you found us. Make sure you drop in and introduce yourself in the new members thread in the bonfire section.

Google: "Tacoma Pinch Weld Mod" - write-ups, images, and videos galore.

Next to the topic, "what's the best off road tire," it's probably the most documented topic on the internet.

Yep, found plenty of examples, thanks for the heads up! Seems easy enough. I'll give it a go.

I wanted to work for BF Goodrich 22 years ago in high school, so I'm good on the tire debate:)

Thanks again, this sure seems like a great forum.

Back
Top Bottom