you can always plastidip the front bumper since it is easily removable

That's the great part of plastidip. You can make the bumper black (or whatever color) and when you are ready to sell it will just peel off and the bumper is back to chrome.

Ship the rig to me, I will take care of the bumper and give it a safe home until you return.

Got a part in this evening... Now to figure out why every Japanese owner seems to remove them and the rear wiper. :confused:

e1154717cbb525d7c93bd281502e681d.jpg

Ship the rig to me, I will take care of the bumper and give it a safe home until you return.

But you don't like Toyota's. :D

come back ; either in it or on it!

Well played! One of the perks of being stationed there. I have to say I'd do the exact same thing!

Last edited:
Another part came in today. This is without any doubt the smallest package I've ever seen a rear bumper delivered in.

9610e2363f76af3df35e72acb0af9433.jpg

Basically, these are "wings" that bolt up to the factory bumper center section. They make up the outer 2/3 of the total bumper width. All construction appears to be 3/16" steel and is similar to the trucks frame.

1ced2d9c24f6b44fd9d0c2e119b4e582.jpg

This picture should help with my description above.

c2de92d35f3b3e87b0784bc4128a8443.jpg

The wings will bolt in line with the center section pictured here that currently have the chrome disasters bolted to it.

The Cruiser was finally delivered yesterday. I would not normally recommend buying a vehicle that you've never driven or heard running, but in Japan that is an exception. I love the culture of respect and honor in this country. The dealer went above and beyond to ensure that I would be absolutely satisfied with my purchase. They would not risk dishonoring their business by selling a lemon.

bab4de8bea12f2606fc8c2a6a70275da.jpg

Initial impressions of the truck are:
-1HZ: it's a brute. Lots of torque, feels unstoppable, not nearly as gutless as I thought it would be accelerating. Definitely not fast, but feels like it's ready for serious work.
-1st gear... forget it. Not worth the time/energy for 2 seconds of acceleration. Only for use on a slope.
-Suspension seats: where have you been all my life?!?
-Suspension: Conestoga wagon... ok, maybe not quite that archaic. :)
-Brakes: four wheel disks, but you'd better be planning ahead.
-Construction: Brick $#!@house... metal dash. Enough said.
-A/C: Why has no other vehicle that I know of received aim-able foot vents? Point it toward the seat of your pants, and enjoy the best cooling experience in automotive history (aside from maybe air conditioned seats.)
-Visibility: Like a fire tower. Nearly no blind spots of any kind, although all the mirrors could benefit from being a bit larger.

Overall: I feel like this was the truck I was always meant to drive. IMO people that have fallen in love with comfort and speed would be wise to skip it. My Tacoma is a "truck" by North American definition, but in comparison is like a sports car. This Cruiser takes me back in time and reminds me of my uncle's old farm truck, and that puts a simile on my face. For me the pros out weigh the cons. FYI, my wife similes like I do when she looks at it.:stars

Last edited:
Congratulations Mark. Your description details all of the things I would have remarked upon should I have been the lucky one to have discovered such a gem. Every "con" you identified are all endearing qualities to me too.

I assume you have a 5-speed manual which is the H55 Toyota transmission. You'll find that 1st gear will come in handy should you ever need to pull a century old oak tree's stump from a field. Pretty tall - you never have to bother with it in normal operations - most honorable transmission.

Can't wait to see your truck when you return. In fact I may have to take a run by the Marsh Center and talk to your monitor and see if we get you stationed at Quantico...

Thanks, Tim. Yes, it is the H55. I would have to agree... it is century old oak gearing. :lol

If I can't get west coast in the future, I would jump on Quantico... I've got family with land nearby.

If you did manage to get an assignment here I think I can find some things, and not just travel, to make it worth your time.

I said before, the rear bumper would go away with a quickness. It didn't last 24hrs.

13c30f6e46851b19161753a10d9ccea2.jpg

The new bumper. Simple. Cheap. Black. Mo'betta. The rusty hardware will have their day with my media blaster soon and will get fresh paint afterward.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom