The Camp Toilet thread!

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
What are you using for a camp toilet? 5 gallon bucket? Thetford? Other?

How are you Treading Lightly?

IMG_6987.jpeg

Ironman 4x4 Bush Toilet, for 8 yrs now

Last edited:
Here's what we've been using for six years. Being older, we wanted to raise the height of the seat. So I got some plumbing flanges and reducers from Home Depot. I was going to glue the flange and reducer together, but we used them before I had an opportunity, and found that they self-leveled like a gimbal, so left them loose. Works great on uneven terrain. LED light rope around the top for Deb's nighttime excursions. And the TP goes in a plastic coffee container after the one time we didn't and it rained...

DSC_4105-XL.jpeg

Now nighttime trips are a bit more convenient. ;)

IMG_8901.jpeg

Harbor freight bucket with Walmart reliance seat. The important part is a quality bag, we have been using the ones from long-time AAV supporter Restop. They are not cheap but are without a doubt a step up in quality from any of the others we have tried. https://amzn.to/3TeIvhf

Last edited:
thetford_curve.jpg

Thetford "Curve", mounted on an aluminum plate (using the Marine "Tie Down" kit), with furniture sliders so that it scoots easily in and out of the lower cabinet in our FWC. (The door is removed in this picture because I was in the process of reversing the hinges so that it opens to make the toilet easier to access from the interior.)

This is the 3rd of the Porta Potti cassette style toilets we've owned (in 2 different rigs), and this is our preferred solution. We find them easy to use, good at odor control, and "relatively" easy to empty and refresh. Most importantly, these provide an experience that is a "close-enough" analog to normal toilets that it keeps my wife and daughter happy.

I've looked at wrap-on style, but dislike the idea of consumables. I think composting units are probably great for continuing/ongoing usage, but I've yet to be convinced it's a good option for the "every fourth weekend plus a couple weeks in summer" use case we're currently in.

We’ve used the luggable loo (5 gal bucket) and found it to be just ok per my SO. We just bought the Pett toilet like Doug showed and the preliminary assessment from the boss is positive. We will be trying it out on our 6 week trip to UT, AZ, NM and TX later this month. I like that it takes up less space than a 5 gallon pail.

Herbie:
Most importantly, these provide an experience that is a "close-enough" analog to normal toilets that it keeps my wife and daughter happy.
This is key.

If you want the family to go on multi-day trips and actually enjoy themselves, accommodations must be made :)

Depends which model you opt for. After everyone left MRV, my wife just took a shovel and roll of TP behind a bush. For quicker trips, a rock slider with both doors open for a "stall" will suffice.

Oh, wait, you meant the type of toilet.

Last edited:
That's the deluxe model with that pool noodle.

We use the old standby Pett toilet and it bites one of our fingers every time we close it up. We sort of hate the thing but haven't found a good replacement option.
View attachment 64127View attachment 64127

Cleanwaste with WAG bags. Identical to this. They also have a canvases storage bag for the toilet with some extra space for a roll of toilet paper and about a dozen WAG bags.

Cleanwaste also sells the gelling powder in bulk which also fits in the storage bag. You can double-up small kitchen garbage bags if you forget to restock on the WAG bags (¬_¬)

Thetford "Curve", mounted on an aluminum plate (using the Marine "Tie Down" kit), with furniture sliders so that it scoots easily in and out of the lower cabinet in our FWC….

I've looked at wrap-on style, but dislike the idea of consumables. I think composting units are probably great for continuing/ongoing usage, but I've yet to be convinced it's a good option for the "every fourth weekend plus a couple weeks in summer" use case we're currently in.

On that note, Thetfords (any cassette toilet) technically do require consumables.

The blue goo.

Sadly, the old school stuff with formaldehyde or it’s cousin bronopol is no longer sold at most places. It’s very hard to find real, NOS “AquaKem”

Thetford’s “new and improved, eco friendly” stuff is called AquaMax

IMG_6994.jpeg

On that note, Thetfords (any cassette toilet) technically do require consumables.

The blue goo.

Fair point. I kind of omitted the key-words, which should have been "brand-specific consumables". The blue goo (or orange, in the case of the AquaBio stuff I'm currently using), is at least available from a number of different brands, and (more importantly), can be readily sourced from any Wal Mart, RV supply, etc. I can also decant bulk fluid into re-used smaller containers to keep a couple of fluid changes in the rig without taking up a lot of room. The wrappon stuff is a little more specialized, though, and is a bulky item to keep around "just in case".

But I know a couple of people who really like the system, so it obviously has its plusses

I just preordered this for estimated July shipping from Joolca: https://www.joolca.com/products/gottago?variant=41536810876962

It separates the solid from the liquid resulting in less smell. They offer a chemical, bag, or compost option for the solids and the pee just goes into a separate bottle. It was $299 total, opting for both a chemical cassette and a bag cassette option. If the chemical toilet doesn't work as described, the bag option only uses one bag, which is nice. We plan to give the bag a twist or four before closing it up if moving and before we pack up to go home, emptying at home. I like the idea of not having several wag bags of slushy stinky waste taking up space in my trash bag hangin on the rear of the rig, waiting to burst and ruin a trip. Urine goes into a separate bottle than can be dumped on the nearest latrine tree like a thunder jug.

From the website, sizes and approximate number of uses each container holds. Your :bullmay vary.

Chemical Cassette:11L (2.9 Gal) approx.19 uses
Bag / Compost Cassette:9.4L (2.5 Gal) approx. 23 uses
Urine Container4.6L (1.2 Gal) approx. 12-15 uses
1709952231980.png

Joolca makes nice, well thought out equipment. Very interested to hear your opinion of it after a few ummm… downloads.
That's been my experience too, which is why I took the chance on a preorder. With wag bags at $3-4 each, it'll pay for itself fairly quickly. I no 1 gallon waste bombs taking up space in the main trash bag. I don't trust those zip lock bags, dipole or not, shoving trash down to fit more in the bag.

Back
Top Bottom