My Hornbeck Nomad, NFCT, Paddler's Safety Checklist, & Cold Water Survival

Road

Adventurist
My Hornbeck Nomad

I'm planning potential canoe outings for upcoming months; including some on flat waters of the 740 mile Northern Forest Canoe Trail.

The NFCT goes from the northern tip of Maine through New Hampshire, Vermont, part of Quebec, and to the Adirondacks of New York. The Adirondacks are where I found the perfect watercraft for my adventuring three years ago; my 14' Hornbeck Solo/Tandem Nomad. Primarily a flat water/calm river boat and not a rapids runner, I've found it to be a terrific way to expand and extend my adventuring around North America.

I've posted about it here before. It's been great for photography, birding, fishing, shore-hopping and island overnights. Though it is capable of carrying another 220 lbs more than myself, it only weighs an amazing 28lbs. Being so light means it goes with me on every adventure and that I use it far more often than I would if it were 60-70lbs or more like many kayaks and canoes.

nomad_1900-1000.jpeg

14' Hornbeck Nomad Solo/Tandem

I'm hatching plans to sew a waterproof spray skirt that will attach via marine snaps along the gunnels, that will spread over simple arched bows both fore and aft, to snug up around my waist, cover gear, and keep water out in rough weather. I'm researching materials now like lightweight cotton/poly ripstop such as used in tents.

I'm also toying with fanciful daydreams of removable outriggers attached to the thwarts that may allow for a simple sail. I plan to experiment with options while lake camping, then implement versions while in camp, not in a home workshop.

roaddude_hornbeck-islandcamp-900-0788.jpg

Canoe Camp

hornbeck-portageyokebalance_6768.jpeg

Only twenty-eight pounds. I can pick it up with one hand, carry it balanced on one shoulder and keep my other hand free for poles or gear, or solo portage miles with it balanced on both shoulders with the yoke. I run a line to the bow and stern when portaging and dip or raise the bow as needed for terrain.

limitedhorizons_0704-1028.jpg

Morning Mist. Nothing quite like being out on a lake alone as the sun comes up.

greatblueheron_8216-1067.jpeg

This boat is so silent I actually bumped the rock this Great Blue Heron was on before he alerted and took flight.

roaddude_hornbeck-1350-9075-900.jpeg

Nomad, Waiting and Ready

==========

Paddler's Safety & Cold Water Survival

I don't see any posts here about water safety for canoeing and kayaking, so find it worth sharing a couple .pdfs on safety checklists and cold water paddling. As experienced on the water as many of us may be, I find the info here worth going over every year, and even more worth sharing with less-experienced paddlers who may be coming along.

Paddler's Safety Checklist, from NFCT. (printable .pdf here and attached to this post):

NFCT-paddlers-safety-checklist-1280-01.png

NFCT-paddlers-safety-checklist-1280-02.png

Cold Water Survival from NFCT. (printable .pdf here and attached to this post).
Even though summer is upon us in the northern hemisphere, many waters are still very cold. Being prepared for cold water, and learning how to PAT--Prevent, Assess, and Treat--hypothermia can save lives.

NFCT-ColdWater-20090302-1280-01.png

NFCT-ColdWater-20090302-1280-02.png

Attachments

• NFCT-Paddlers-Safety.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • NFCT_ColdWater20090302.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
When I glanced this post title, I had to quickly check to see if it was in the For Sale section. If so, I'd have had to jump in the truck and head to Maine!

I'm always looking forward to your adventures, and glad to see you out in the world again.

When I glanced this post title, I had to quickly check to see if it was in the For Sale section. If so, I'd have had to jump in the truck and head to Maine!

I'm always looking forward to your adventures, and glad to see you out in the world again.
Thank you, Mr. Steve!

Like a 17 year Cicada, I'm slowly re-emerging. Just not as noisy. Camped for four nights last week along a favorite lake, which was refreshing. Planning more for later this summer, and hope to get back south and west by winter, if things pan out. It's been a damned hard, and long, 16-18 months for so many. I barely remember last spring, summer, and fall; I was so inundated with mask-making. I rarely saw daylight, though made, sold, and donated thousands; some going as far away as Sudan.

I'm calling it The Year I Became Old...:tango

I doubt I'll ever get rid of my Hornbeck, though I'll tell my kid you're first in line if something happens to me. Though, I doubt she'd ever part with it, either!

Last week:
210527-hornbeck_6637-900.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom