Trip Planning: Vehicle Gear Lists

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Trip planning starts with ensuring that your vehicle is in good working order, and that your loadout (gear list) has been checked and tailored to your specific environment and goals for the trip.

Will you be camping or just wheeling? Do you plan on dismounting and exploring further on foot or by bikes or kayak? Many people bring WAY too much stuff, and it's easy to overload your vehicle trying to be prepared for every whim and circumstance. I recommend keeping it as simple and as light as possible if you can.

Once you know your desired end state, you need to do detailed planning for meals, fuel, permits, safety etc. Once that planning is complete, it's time to pack up and remember to tell someone where you're off to!

Rather than assume that you have what you need in the truck, I recommend dragging it out for a visual inspection before you leave home, especially before any long trip.

Gear lists can be a huge resource. We have detailed threads for when the truck is stuck and you need your recovery kit HERE, and for when the truck is broken down and we have to walk out or "bug out" HERE. We also have detailed discussions on first aid kits HERE.

All of those smaller "kits" need to be in your vehicle when you go, and they play a part in your larger Vehicle Gear List that should include personal items, clothing, food and water, tools, navigation, communication, first aid, recovery and camping gear.

I have attached a PDF here for your use that details a "basic" Vehicle Gear List which can serve as a baseline for you if you don't already have one.

E98FA0B5-F38E-46A2-BD02-C992EE1C59BA.jpeg

Attachments

• BASIC VEHICLE GEAR LIST 2021.pdf
    647.2 KB · Views: 154
Excellent!

Great recap with links to past posts (too often overlooked or not seen) and terrific way to remind folks--like me--to properly consider needs in trip prep for the next big adventure.

Excellent!

Great recap with links to past posts (too often overlooked or not seen) and terrific way to remind folks--like me--to properly consider needs in trip prep for the next big adventure.

Thank you, I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom