Zarges box mods

WashingtonTaco

Adventurist
Not to take away from @Daves Zarges Alubox comparison this thread will focus on Zarges boxes and how I outfitted mine.

I have wanted Zarges boxes for my offroad vehicles for many years. Having used them in my aviation career receiving and shipping parts worth more than the average home I knew that they would hold my gear safely.

My Truckvault storage platform was partially based around removable storage boxes. Initially I planned to use Zarges boxes but as the build went on the funds to purchase boxes was appropriated to higher priorities. I settled on Front Runner ammo boxes. Not a bad compromise and better than the Plano cases I was using in my Taco but certainly not Zarges.

The time and budget had finally came together to make my Zarges purchase. I ordered the following;
K470-40810
K470-40568 (2 each)
K470-40678
Zarges #3.jpg

Believe it or not the FR ammo boxes have a similar exterior footprint to the Zarges (model K470-40568). The FR are slightly shorter, slightly wider and slight taller. The interior volume is far superior to the FR by a long shot in the Zarges. One of the negatives I found almost immediately with the FR boxes was the dang latches would break if you looked at them wrong or just popped two latches and tried to hinge the other two.

On the table pictured, I laid a tape outline of each box for comparison. The white tape is the FR and the green is Zarges.
Zarges #5.jpg

Shortly after my order shipped poking around on the Zarges website I realized that Zarges offers a service to upgrade the boxes I ordered to IP65 water stream blast.

From their website:
  • IP 54 standard, IP 65 class protection against water jets available
The upgrade is $50.00 per box option. Disappointed that I missed that note I contacted Zarges and inquired what exactly they did to upgrade the boxes.

They responded with this information.
Zarges #1.JPG
Zarges #2.JPG

I was a bit surprised they shared this information but excited they did! If you know me I cant not take an opportunity to modify something when presented!

Both K440 and K470 stack together and Goose Gear top plate kits work on both models that have a length & width dimension of 21.65" X 13.78".

I'm a big advocate of the top plates. Not only do they protect the most vulnerable part of the box (the lid), but they turn these boxes into field expedient step stools, tables, ottomans, food prep areas, etc.

Anytime you can carry one item that can do several things (instead of one) it's a huge force multiplier, especially when space and weight capacity is finite.

A friend has a small YouTube channel and reviewed his Zarges case for his channel. In the comments section a person stated that he worked for a company that upgraded Zarges cases for spacecraft parts transportation. Instead of sealing the cases with silicone they used a 3M product, 2216 two part epoxy. 3M 2216 has excellent bonding , high resistance to vibration, shock, flexing and durability.

This product sounded familiar to me, a quick search on my work computer showed we stocked this in our hanger stores. This meant we had partials setting in our chemical cabinets and by company rule only good for 30 days once opened. Low and behold I was lucky and right!

If you don't have access to this product for no cost or low cost, its prohibitive to use as its expensive. Use the GE silicone as recommend by Zarges.

I managed to scrounge enough 3M 2216 to seal all my cases. I sealed mine same as the Zarges instructions except with the 3M 2216 epoxy. I taped the edges and was able to lay a nice bead. The 2216 flowed into the joints well and has a 90 minute work life. Once sealed I removed the tape and placed a incandescent bulb lamp in the case to speed up cure time. Once cured I flipped them upside down a sealed the top rim, again placing the lamp inside to speed up cure time.

Zarges #22.jpg

Not satisfied with just sealing with the epoxy I felt their was room for additional seal between the lid and top rim. I researched seals and found an excellent seal from Trimlok.

Fortunately you can purchase small rolls on Amazon. I used this one with the 3M tape backing for a secure hold and good temperature range of -20 to 150.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4B0S8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

The lids have a nice snug fit. Trimlok has excellent information on there website on what seal to purchase, how thick of seal, application and installation instructions. At this point you are thinking I've gone overboard!? Standby!

Zarges #20.jpg

Zarges #21.jpg

Concerned about pressure relief (like a Pelican case). I found a company, Stratotechvalve https://stratotechvalve.com/ out of Grants Pass OR that makes USA made two way pressure valves. A few emails and a call later they hooked me right up. In fact they produce these valves for this application.

Zarges #18.jpg

Zarges #19.jpg

I am in the process of adapting a valve to the two way check valve hole so I can conduct positive and negative pressure checks to the cases to see how they hold with a 1-2 psi input and vacuum.

Dave's favorite Zarges box mod. I have this on my MacGyver box. If any box goes, even on just a day trip its this box as its stocked with trail repair items.
Zarges #12.jpg

MacGyver box set up like a paramedic kit. This is going to make teaching out of so much easier!

Zarges #17.jpg

And my dry goods box, probably will get a Goose gear top as well. Now has Front Runner corrugated liners to separate the whiskey bottle from other items.

Zarges #23.jpg

I've been thinking of taking the top plates off and putting a dab of silicone around the bolts. I really wish I had thought about that before adding them.

Glad to see the alcohol is properly protected against grizzlies :thumbsup

Dave's favorite Zarges box mod. I have this on my MacGyver box. If any box goes, even on just a day trip its this box as its stocked with trail repair items. View attachment 63525

MacGyver box set up like a paramedic kit. This is going to make teaching out of so much easier!

View attachment 63531

And my dry goods box, probably will get a Goose gear top as well. Now has Front Runner corrugated liners to separate the whiskey bottle from other items.

View attachment 63532
What pouches are those in the MacGyver box?

Good thread.
I use 1/4 inch plywood stained and vanished for a box topper very durable and inexpensive. Spraying the inside of the boxes with bed liner or lining the interior with tool box liner will eliminate the black dust that is created by objects rubbing against the interior .
For dividers, a much cheaper equivalent to the RummX is Coroplast. Easy to cut to size with a box cutter and use irrigation clips to hold the panels together. Paint black for that expensive imported look.

I finally had time to pressure test the epoxy sealant and seals I installed on my boxes. I had to add a bit more seals to the corners as they wouldn't leak. I managed to get them to hold for 4.5 psi to 5.5 psi. Not official IP67 but if they can hold that kind of pressure I'm comfortable with putting them on the roof rack if need be and not worry about a driving rain storm. To double check my work I used a soapy water solution to verify no leaks, no bubbles produced!

Zarges #24.jpg
Zarges #25.jpg
Zarges #26.jpg

Back
Top Bottom