Tiny Rig Co.

2nd Gen Tacoma frame damage from winching

35inchoverdrive

Adventurist
We recently had a 2nd Gen Tacoma come into the shop with the bumper wings pressing hard into the fenders.

DSC04791.JPG

Closer inspection showed that (mostly due to an improper installation) winching had caused the bumper to start peeling away from the frame.

bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

We've found this phenomenon to be more common on the 1st Gen Tacomas and some of the 4Runners, but this is the first time we've come across it with this body style. I'll be documenting the repairs that we did in this thread.

DSC04801.JPG

After removing the bumper, we were able to see the full extent of the damage.

The frame brackets were definitely tweaked:
DSC04807.JPG

...but they were also cracked:
DSC04804.JPG

The first step of the repair involves cleaning up, straightening and then welding up the cracks on the stock frame pieces.

DSC04810.JPG

DSC04811.JPG

Technically, the damage has been repaired, but we want to make sure this never happens again. Here, we are mocking up the new reinforcements with some .25" steel.

DSC04812.JPG

Out comes the plasma cutter and we knock out the blanks to build some frame reinforcements.
DSC04814.JPG

The pieces get mocked up and tacked in place:
DSC04815.JPG

Now, it all gets burned in:
DSC04816.JPG

DSC04817.JPG

DSC04818.JPG

The finished product gets painted:
DSC04821.JPG

...and the bumper gets reinstalled:
DSC04841.JPG

The bumper does get moved forward .25" because of the steel added to the end of the frame, but in this case that proved to be a bonus. Originally, the integrated bumper lights had been contacting the truck:
DSC04794.JPG

...but that was resolved by the new spacing.

x2 ?

- - - Updated - - -

It looks heavy duty and well done, but why was the face piece made in 2 pieces then welded together?

My thoughts as well and how could the tabs on both side be bent back? Somethings off here?

It looks heavy duty and well done, but why was the face piece made in 2 pieces then welded together?

Good question.

The gap(s) in the pieces allowed us to weld to the factory bracket as well. It's welded around the perimeter too. We wanted to make sure that any forces would have to work against all the material. Instead of it being just a spacer, it works to thicken the original plate. The tab at the top, tying to the factory frame home is just added insurance against any future tweakage.

Why do you have to be in Virginia??? I need someone in CA that can mount the bumper I have to the truck. It's supposed to be for a 1st Gen Tacoma, but I have a 3rd Gen 4Runner. It's supposed to be a close fit, but it wasn't properly installed on the Tacoma it came off of (if I recall correctly)

Mitch take him up on that they have a few good wineries you guys could have fun at not that I have or anything

Why do you have to be in Virginia??? I need someone in CA that can mount the bumper I have to the truck. It's supposed to be for a 1st Gen Tacoma, but I have a 3rd Gen 4Runner. It's supposed to be a close fit, but it wasn't properly installed on the Tacoma it came off of (if I recall correctly)

That install isn't too awful. ARB changed the fit kit a couple times over the years(I think...it's been a while). One of the fit kits they used(I *think* the older one...that is no longer available), made it pretty easy and involved minimal fab. The most recent fit kit we encounted(a couple years ago maybe) was a lot more aggravating. We had to cut the 4Runner frame back quite a bit. I wish I knew a good fab guy close to you, but the closest guy I know is in Stockton. I'm sure there are competent fabricators near you though. You just have to dig a little.

Cough... Pelfreybuilt... Cough...

You can't swing a dead cat here without hitting a shop seeing as how at least half the trucks for the Baja 1000 are built within a 100 mile radius of Mitch's house.

We fab'd some brackets very similar on my 1st gen when we installed the big ole' winch bumper. I just didn't like using only those front facing bolts. Now I see why :D

Good question.

The gap(s) in the pieces allowed us to weld to the factory bracket as well. It's welded around the perimeter too. We wanted to make sure that any forces would have to work against all the material. Instead of it being just a spacer, it works to thicken the original plate. The tab at the top, tying to the factory frame home is just added insurance against any future tweakage.

Nice, it wont be going anywhere

Closer inspection showed that (mostly due to an improper installation) winching had caused the bumper to start peeling away from the frame.

We've found this phenomenon to be more common on the 1st Gen Tacomas and some of the 4Runners, but this is the first time we've come across it with this body style. I'll be documenting the repairs that we did in this thread.

What was the improper installation you mention?

The brackets that were supposed to bolt on the bumper, were put under the bumper. With the brackets between the bumper and the frame, they allowed too much leverage on the frame mounting tabs.

The new style mounting of this bumper comes with brackets that cannot be installed in such a way to harm the frame, but actually reinforce it as designed.

Equipt Expedition Outfitters
Back
Top Bottom