Tiny Rig Co.

2nd Gen Tacoma

TemboTusk

Adventurist
Founding Member
Question for 2nd Gen Tacoma owners:

My son has a bone stock 2006 and wants to start outfitting it with a small lift, bumpers tires etc.

Any recommendation on which vendor is the best to deal with?

This is what the his truck currently looks like.

Bryans truck.jpg

If you're on a budget I have some nearly new 2.5 lift from Rancho I was testing and they are good to go if you don't have a heavy winch bumper. I would recommend a UCA with it and a set of OME Dakar leaves. Its in the for sale section. I went heavier spring rate is all for the heavier bumper I'm running. But it's a great inexpensive starting point.

Brett C.
IronworksTactical.com - owner

Brett,

Thanks for heads up and advise! I'll take a look in the sale section.

I understand old Land Cruisers, but next to nothing about upgrading the Tacoma! Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Just so I understand: What is a UCA? Are the Rancho used with the Dakar leaves? Or is that two separate systems?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have the exact same truck. I've had good luck with Armor Tech Offroad (http://www.armortechoffroad.com). I got their Bed Bars to mount a RTT on and they got them to me in 4 days, even though the stated lead time was stated as 3 weeks. They also have a bunch of unique custom parts and accessories.

Current Mods I am running:
- OME 2" Heavy Duty Suspension upgrade, Dakar Rear Leaves with Add-a-leaf.
- Airflow Snorkel (really acts as a ram-air intake)
- K&N Air and Oil Filters.
- 265/75 R16 ProComp Extreme AT tires: Can't say enough about these tires. They have lasted me 35,000 miles on the road with great performance on rocks, gravel, ice, snow, etc. I will be upgrading to 285x70 R16 at some point now that I have the space.
- Tepui Kukenam RTT on Armor Tech Bed Bars.
- Yaesu FT 897D, DIY mount, Diamond Tri-band antenna, and Diamond NMO antenna mount.

UCA = Upper Control Arms, Jerry. With some lifts, you need a new set of these to be able to get a correct alignment.

And instead of messing with Dakar leafs which flatten out just like stock, look into All-Pro's new leaf springs. Dave seems to be really happy with them.

The Dakar rears with the extra leaf are great unless you weigh six grand like me ;)

The Allpro APEX heavy springs are better IMO. Add the Timbrens and Icons and it's ideal.

For the front, full Icon is amazing. And Allpro has some equally impressive front end parts now.

On a budget and for normal use and what we do, the Old Man Emu heavy kit front and rear is best value. I recommend Sierra Expeditions if you go that route.

For install, it can be done at home in a weekend, the front end alignment is the only part I don't do at home.

We'll be neighbors at Overland Expo Jerry, I'll read you in on everything you need to know for Brian's truck ;)

A thought. If he's planning on taking that truck onto questionable trails, a set of rock sliders would be a fantastic investment.

Sent via fat thumb

Bone Stock is the best way to start a build :D

Depending on end goals there really is a plethora of options and vendors to choose from.
Personal preference on style and weight is usually one of the factors in choosing the right armor.

As for suspension we do offer UCA's, leafs etc or even a trail proven +2 long travel kit perfect for exploring the outback and still an amazing quality of ride for daily driving.

Have your son give us a call anytime to just go over options or just learn a little more about each product so he can determine if its right for him.

Thanks for mentioning us Dave!

Cheers!

Thanks All-Pro,

We've done the lift since we last posted. Our next project will be armor.

Son needs to save a bit of money now for this project!

Tiny Rig Co.
Back
Top Bottom