AT Overland Equipment

Cleaning Throttle body - 2001 4runner

ramonortiz55

Adventurist
Last weekend I decided to clean the throttle body on my 4runner.

Decided to document the procedure In hopes it would benefit someone who likes do things on their own:

For this task, I picked up some throttle body cleaner, a rag, and my wife's toothbrush:

One of the most important steps in this procedure is to stare down the throttle for a good 2 or 3 minutes. This helps break down the carbon inside. The harder you stare, the more it breaks down and easier it is to clean. Sorta like WD-40 loosens up rusted nuts and bolts.

First step is removing the airbox assembly, loosen airbox bolts and straps:

unplug mass airflow sensor and any other connectors in the vicinity:

There will be a smaller airbox towards the firewall with some airlines connecting into it, remove the airhoses and the small airbox:

Don't forget the airhoses that run towards the front of the engine towards the piping of the airbox:

Loosening these thinner clamps will help removing the piping to the airbox:

Remove another plug, this one is right besides the accelerator cable:

Three cooling lines will be feeding into the throttle body, these can be removed also:

Another plug:

Remove the accelerator cable off the throttle, this can be done by clocking the body of the spring and sliding it out carefully:

Another picture of everything removed:

Remove the two top nuts that are holding the throttle in position:

Now remove the bottom bolts that are holding the throttle in position:

Pull off the throttle gently:

Take it to the operating table:

Generously spray inside the throttle body with cleaner and brush the carbon off with your wife's toothbrush and rag:

Carefully rotate the "door" to make sure all the carbon buildup has been cleaned out.

If you aren't bleeding, you aren't done:

Once you are satisfied with the removal of carbon, installation is reverse of removal.

One other item to clean while you have the throttle body off is the "Idle Air Control Valve". Its attached to the throttle body and has been know to cause high idle when it gets real bad. Make sure to get a new gasket for the throttle body and packing for the IACV upon reassembly.

I do mine every 6 months. Keeps the green machine running great. How ever I do not remove the whole throttle body.

Very nice work. The ECU will now relearn "proper idle". My rubber intake boots are cracked and need replaced, other wise I'd do this more often. Damn Texas heat...

Tiny Rig Co.
Back
Top Bottom