Equipt Expedition Outfitters

Looking for the next adventure

1Fitdogone!

Adventurist
Hello everyone.
My name is Saul and new to overlanding and adventure camping. I’m from Illinois and looking for advice and recommendations on where to start and go. My wife and kids will be with me on this new journey along with our Jeep Rubicon unlimited. I’m currently running 35s and a 23Zero roof top tent and awning. Any advance and recommendations on places to take my family will be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone.
My name is Saul and new to overlanding and adventure camping. I’m from Illinois and looking for advice and recommendations on where to start and go. My wife and kids will be with me on this new journey along with our Jeep Rubicon unlimited. I’m currently running 35s and a 23Zero roof top tent and awning. Any advance and recommendations on places to take my family will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

Are you still in Illinois? I’d recommend lots of goodness north of you In Wisconsin and Michigan.

Hello Dave. Yes we are still in Illinois. Where do recommend we go in Michigan? Looking for remote camping etc. Not to crowed lol

Hello Dave. Yes we are still in Illinois. Where do recommend we go in Michigan? Looking for remote camping etc. Not to crowed lol

My favorites up there were Porcupines SP, Copper Harbor, and High Rock Bay. Love Keweenaw!

Lots of great waterfalls to see in Wisconsin, and the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota is not to be missed!

Hey Saul:
From a Michigander’s perspective:
I have gone to the peninsula numerous times and enjoy the back country roads and sights there.
My last couple Keweenaw peninsula trips (3-4 years ago) were disappointing as it was a zoo. So many people. My first trips there a decade ago, I was alone. Now there are cars that I thought would never make it out there on that road and far too much party atmosphere. I was usually there the week after Labor Day, so I thought all the car campers would not be around. Mistaken to be sure. Times have changed.
I’ve started to go to the western side of the peninsula and into Minnesota around the Apostle Islands area. However, even there it is saturated with lots of folk getting outdoors. Good for them!
You could to into the interior of the state to the Huron-Manistee or Ottawa National Forests and follow the MVUM mapping to get off the grid a bit. I find Avenza maps helpful as well as Gaia.
Dave’s right about Wisconsin.
Or you could winter camp. That will definitely give you an opportunity for a more isolated/alone camp experience.
Happy Trails!

Goose Gear
Back
Top Bottom