Tiny Rig Co.

The Chubby Outdoorsman support vehicle

Hello all, This is the first thread i have ever started, in any forum. It is to catalog the build up process of my 2005 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4X4. Purchased in January of 2014, with 101k miles. Yes i know high mileage but knowing i was going to take it off road and abuse i,t it was ok.

11921708_1005559549484381_7634512921880436687_n.jpg

The modifications started as basic. First removal of the factory running boards. Two front windows tinted to 20%, and 6000k Hi Lo HIDs installed in factory housings. I then had the opportunity to buy a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 265/70r17 that were like new with about 100 miles on them from the shop I worked at at the time. So I also sourced some Sport take off wheels and painted them black with VHT rim paint. Next up on the list was an elevation change by way of a Pro Comp 3/1.5 lift.

20141004_134552 (2).jpg

Of course with new struts and springs in the front, and an add a leaf and shocks in the rear. I added a CB radio onto the center console with an antenna bolted to the factory bed rail system. I then relocated to South Carolina do to work.
20141221_142235.jpg

20150308_161855.jpg

That lasted like that for over a year and 35k miles and took me any and everywhere I could put it. Recently I have added a used ARE contractor type cap to be built out to carry all the gear for outdoor adventures.

GEDC0046 (2).JPG
I have since removed the cb until i find a better location to mount an antenna. Thanks for looking. Sorry for the short write up, but it really doesnt have much done yet.

Last edited:
We are a simple lot, pictures of anything will do just fine! I so want to throw in a sister joke here, but you're new, so I'll mind my manners!:cool:

Welcome to the forum, lot's of Toyota knowledge here. Don't be afraid to ask questions...plenty of us here more than willing to give you the right answer(s)!:D

Last edited:
I will be adding more pictures and details, as i can think of them. I will take pictures of the setup in the cap tomorrow if possible. There of course is a long list of planned and wanted upgrades for the future.

12821585_1122508164456185_1309258133364384829_n.jpg

Ok so a little update, I went and picked up this bumper yesterday. It is an iron cross bumper, needs a little tweaking and some massaging to make it fit how i want it. However, the only thing it cost me was my stock chrome bumper in trade, and the trip to go pick it up. I will probably be adding some flush mount lights where the iron cross logos are. In the long run i would like to add some gusseting and frame tie ins for added stregth. As well as eventually adding a swing out tire carrier to it when i get the time and funds. While i was playing with the truck i also threw on a pair of 1/4" spacers to the rear wheels i have laying around. I will put the front ones one withing a month, when i get my front wheel bearings changed out as well. Not much happening with it, just mainly driving it for commuting, and trying to go on some dirt road adventures as well when i can find them on the weekend.

As it sits currently, pulled the pro comp struts out of it for a set of stock trd off road quad cab struts, and threw some new cooper rtx on it, will be looking for some bilstein 5100s to bring the front end back up. Much more i want to do but that will come with time and money. Been doing plenty of maintenance catch up with it.
20161115_190710.jpg

20161127_112417.jpg

I have also thought of that, i was going to wrap just the cap as I have a friend here with a vinyl business, I'm just waiting for him to get the shop setup and to get a quote for it, I was thinking a topo map of South Carolina on the doors/wings and the cap to match

Added some cheap touch battery LED to the cap to see gear at night

20150707_215439.jpg

20160601_195950.jpg
20160611_115158.jpg

Maintenance beung done ECGS clamshell bushing, new cvs, new wheel bearings, new brakes, tune up, all fluids, just taking care of overdue items
20160612_160652.jpg
A trip to the mountains of N Georgia
20160918_112622.jpg

To the apple orchards of North Carolina
GEDC1108.JPG
And the back roads of South Carolina

Fairly straight forward process? I'm looking at have to do this soon in my 3rd gen (as I rant about it here: link). ECGS's video makes it look simple enough.

Glad you got to go there before the county turned it into a tourist attraction. It's paved all the way to the top now.

If you have any mechanical knowledge was simple. Just took a little fighting to get the piece behind the bearing to pull it. But otherwise was simple.
Well thats a damn shame, I'm suprised theyve left it open at all then.

As it sits currently, pulled the pro comp struts out of it for a set of stock trd off road quad cab struts, and threw some new cooper rtx on it, will be looking for some bilstein 5100s to bring the front end back up. Much more i want to do but that will come with time and money. Been doing plenty of maintenance catch up with it.

Think about Bilstein 6112s - a little more shock than a 5100, and they work quite well on our trucks.

AT Overland Equipment
Back
Top Bottom