AT Overland Equipment

Toyota FT-4X Concept

That Nissan Titan XD Warrior Concept though... for a Nissan it has my attention!

:drool

Oh, great, another "cute'ute" :rolleyes:

I honestly have no problem with the AWD cross-over small-suv not-quite-a-station-wagon-but-not-a-hatchback things... so long as the owners of these things know what they're getting. I worked for a Jeep dealer in sales right when the Patriot and Compass came out. With the "success" of the IFS/SRA Liberty and Chrysler being desperate for sales they decided to rebrand the Dodge Caliber as the "Jeep" Patriot and Compass. That's all they did. Took an existing model and fluffed the body a little. It was, and still is, nothing more than an awd car (unless you have one of the fwd only versions - yes, they made those). The problem was Chrysler was using the "go anywhere; conquer the world" legacy ads from the Jeep brand. People came in thinking these IFS/IRS mini-Jeeps were going to be able to handle the terrain that the Wrangler, Cherokees, and Grand Cherokees of yesteryear could. <sigh> Long story short, I quit because Chrysler had no connection to their customer base (amongst other reasons). Sadly it's only gotten worse as Fiat has picked up where Chrysler left off with rebranding things like the Fiat 500 with a 7-slot grill and thinking the "world war winning Jeep" legacy will help them move tin.

That said, Toyota and Honda seem to know their target audience with their suv/cross-over fleet. They still can't keep up with Subaru (in my opinion at least). I don't expect to see them out on the trails at the local off-road park or gallivanting around the national forests. Pretty sure though I'd see a bunch in paved parking lots with an "I<3 Hiking" sticker on the back and a Starbucks mug in the cupholder.

I will keep my 2011 FJ, thanks. Toyota would be farther ahead to produce FJ 40's again. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Not at all. Maybe an east coast thing, but I don't see many that aren't family vehicles out west.

Edit: after some reading it seems the RAV4 has been dominating the market. Not sure about the demographic, but it seems possible it's doing well there too. I guess the FT-4X is just looking to corner the weirdo market... We already can guess it will own that segment. :D

Last weekend I test drive a RAV4 and CRV for my 75 year old mother after she liked riding in her 60 year old niece’s CRV. I don’t know if that’s they’re sole demographic but by my observation these “taller cars” are popular with older ladies who find them “safer” due to their seat height, smallness, and being easy to drive.

Some shots posted by someone on the TLCA Facebook page from the San Francisco Auto Show. *Not sure if this is the same vehicle or not.

05AFEC00-BB0B-43D9-8B89-05C5F80A6416.jpeg

6141F09E-B048-4A3B-A4AB-16E2094F15DE.jpeg

A10CE19D-1D88-41AF-9882-E1E5E1E021CE.jpeg

Maybe Toyota should concentrate on updating the 4runner and 200 series. They are both getting a little long in the tooth.
True. The Land Cruiser line up is hard to predict though for a change... it was often said to me that look for a redesign every 10 years. However, if you look at the history of the "J-series" vehicles that isn't true.

J40 - 24 years
J50 - 13 years
J60 - 09 years
J70 - 1984 to present
J80 - 18 years (only 8 years in US and AU markets)
J100 - 09 years
J200 - 2007 to present

I haven't heard of any rumors from Toyota about a replacement nor seen any concept models exhibited that might infer a revised product line.

That whole 4Runner "Decepticon" design treatment just killed it for me and that vehicle. Homily as the day is long.

Last edited:
That whole 4Runner "Decepticon" design treatment just killed it for me and that vehicle. Homily as the day is long.

My wife bought a new 2016 with 3rd row seat, and didn't check to see if there was AC in the rear, because you know it was 2016 and even crappy Kia's have rear AC for the 3rd row seat in vehicles that are equipped with it. But not the 4runner, where 2 crappy vents in the front center console are plenty to cool a fairly large 3rd row seat SUV :rolleyes:. And what vehicle still has a 5 speed auto? I love Toyota's, but since they sell everything they make, they seem to have lost the will or the want to not only be innovative, but even keep up with the completion.

And what vehicle still has a 5 speed auto? I love Toyota's, but since they sell everything they make, they seem to have lost the will or the want to not only be innovative, but even keep up with the completion.

Exactly why I didn’t buy a new Toyota when shopping recently. As a brand, they really do seem out of touch lately.

My wife bought a new 2016 with 3rd row seat, and didn't check to see if there was AC in the rear, because you know it was 2016 and even crappy Kia's have rear AC for the 3rd row seat in vehicles that are equipped with it. But not the 4runner, where 2 crappy vents in the front center console are plenty to cool a fairly large 3rd row seat SUV :rolleyes:. And what vehicle still has a 5 speed auto? I love Toyota's, but since they sell everything they make, they seem to have lost the will or the want to not only be innovative, but even keep up with the completion.
If it makes you feel better, my 80 Series (Lexus version) only has manual sliding windows for the 3rd row. It does have a 3rd row ash tray though, and the 2nd row gets power windows and a heater, no AC. I still love it, but the driver gets 3 vents (crotch vent for the win!).

If it makes you feel better, my 80 Series (Lexus version) only has manual sliding windows for the 3rd row. It does have a 3rd row ash tray though, and the 2nd row gets power windows and a heater, no AC. I still love it, but the driver gets 3 vents (crotch vent for the win!).

The difference is, you are talking a 1990's vehicle, not a 2016 (or 2019, as they still don't have rear AC and still have a 5 spd).

Tiny Rig Co.
Back
Top Bottom