Tiny Rig Co.

Toyota recalls quarter-million Tacoma pickups over oil leaks

TangoBlue

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
From USA Today, Published 1:23 p.m. ET April 27, 2017. "Toyota is recalling about a quarter-million pickup trucks to fix a defect that could cause vehicles to leak oil and potentially increase the risk of a crash.

The Japanese automaker said Thursday that it would recall 228,000 U.S. units of the 2016 and 2017 model-year Toyota Tacoma. The recall includes about 250,000 units worldwide.

The recently redesigned Tacoma, a mid-size pickup crucial to Toyota's lineup, could leak oil, possibly damaging the rear differential."

Read the article here.

There have been complaints on the Tacoma forums about rear differentials and transmissions being low on fluid right from the dealer. Seems like they're now addressing the rear differential. I hope they address the transmission issues soon (beyond the TSB that's been issued).

Transmission issues?

Many owners are reporting hard shifting, especially in lower gears or when going from R to D. When people started digging into the reasons they were finding that the transmissions in the trucks were shipping from the manufacturer without being properly filled with transmission fluid. Many people are finding that they're as much as a quart low. Toyota issued a TSB to address the transmission not engaging correctly when shifting from P to D, but have done nothing about the transmission fluid levels or the complaints of hard shifting from R to D (that I know of.)

My 2016 shifted hard from P to D just a couple of times, both when parked on a steep incline. I shifted from P to D, let off on the brake and began to press the accelerator. Instead of engaging and moving the truck forward the RPM's would rise to about 1200 - 1500 and then the transmission would engage and the vehicle would lurch forward. The best part of the entire situation is trying to get a dealer to check the transmission fluid level. They will tell you it's a sealed system and that there's no way to check it without draining and refilling the transmission or going through some sort of process with TIS Techstream that takes most of a day. Dealers are telling customers that it's simply impossible that the transmission is low on fluid, they're filled at the factory and they're perfect.

My 2009 Sequoia has none of these problems. :D

And to think I was grumpy at Land Rover for not providing a dipstick and making me crawl under the truck to check the ATF level. :eek:

And to think I was grumpy at Land Rover for not providing a dipstick and making me crawl under the truck to check the ATF level. :eek:

You were grumpy because you crawled under there to check the ATF only to realize you were crawling in ATF and 90 wt. Then when you tried to get cleaned up the lights stopped working. And there you were. Dirty and alone with Lucas, Lord of Darkness.

:stir

I Love dipsticks. Toyota probably saved $10 by sealing the system and removing the dipstick and the ability to add ATF. And then they called it a "feature" by requiring a full day at the dealer to add a quart of ATF.

How odd... the article is about a recall regarding leaking gear oil from the differential. Now, in just 10 posts, it has progressed to the transmission and ATF. This is just like real-life internet news reporting... :D

Goose Gear
Back
Top Bottom