Tiny Rig Co.
We should be seeing snow wheeling pics here soon right?

:peek

Ha! Yeah, not likely.

Currently I'm waiting my paperwork from the importer so that I can get it insured (classic vehicle / agreed value policy) and registered here in NY. I will need to drive it at some point on the salted roads here to get the state inspection done. Afterward I'm sure my OCD will be kicked up a notch or two thinking of the salt and chemicals that are trying to destroy the Cruiser, then I will probably spend a day washing and protecting the undercarriage.

For the time being this is the scene at the Trump house:

PSX_20171212_080719.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Lord salted roads! I'd spray everything you can think of underneath that beauty, and still wouldn't drive it in the winter!
Congrats

Yep, aside from getting her registered, she is more or less in hibernation until spring. A benefit from the expensive and frequent inspections in Japan is that the undercarriage was not allowed to have any visible corrosion during it's life. Most heavy duty (100, 400, 800 series Japanese plates) are repainted underneath annually. This has kept this Cruiser to nearly no rust at all, but I know that would not last if subjected to the Northeast's winter road conditions.

I live in the desert. You should bring it to me for safe keeping until summer. I'll only drive it once a week or so to keep everything lubed up and in good working order. I'm minutes away from Johnson Valley and Big Bear so I can be easily test all of the important systems.

Good plan on hibernation. Pennsylvania has 640,000 tons of road salt for this winter. I don’t drive my Land Cruiser in the snow. The sacrificial Subaru gets the call for winter transport duty.

-Andy

I got to a little arts and crafts project today I had to put on hold due to the move. I like the look and function of the stock tri-color taillights, but really needed to update the oxidized plastic lenses. I bought and installed some 24v LED taillights that you can see in the photo of the Cruiser being picked up. While they work fine and look alright, I don't really like the clear lens for a turn signal. I had bought a similar set with the amber turn signal before leaving Japan, but they were only available for a 12v 70 series, and were not compatible with my 24v system.

I finally got the opportunity to bake the lights in the oven today to soften the sealant up and swap the lenses on the two sets. The work turned out easier than I had imagined because these lights have a separate lens for each color as can be seen below:

20171216_214259.jpg

Some careful prying and replacement and I've got tri-color taillights again.

20171216_211433.jpg

Nice work. As crazy as some of the things I've done to a vehicle, especially brand new ones fresh off the delivery truck looking to go from momster to persuit special, I think sticking my lights in the oven is beyond anything I should attempt!

And I agree, amber is correct.

Nice work. As crazy as some of the things I've done to a vehicle, especially brand new ones fresh off the delivery truck looking to go from momster to persuit special, I think sticking my lights in the oven is beyond anything I should attempt!

And I agree, amber is correct.

This was probably the third vehicle that I've used this method on. After the first time it becomes mundane except for the prying... that is always a bit nerve-racking.

Ok, a little admission here... My motivation to swap the turn signal lenses over was pushed up in priority by a failure. In this case, a burnt out turn signal bulb that would be needed for a state inspection.

Up until the roads started getting salted, I was taking the Cruiser around my block every couple days to keep things lubricated and working correctly. The last such trip I noticed a hyper blinker. I had already upgraded all exterior lighting to LED with exception of the turn signals. Odd Iron Offroad is a small US business that I had found through IH8MUD that has assembled and tested LED replacements for 24v Cruisers. They were my supplier for nearly all the lighting to date, and I happily returned to them for the turn signal replacements I had held out on before. This time I included a 24v LED flasher relay as well.

It didn't occur to me until I received them that the LED's were probably white since they are normally located behind amber lenses... Thus, I was forced into the kitchen with four taillights and various flathead screwdrivers instead of my normal leisurely Saturday morning of coffee and football.

The replacement flasher relay included wire leads for plugging into a relay box on a Cruiser (Maybe a JDM 60 Series?) that does not have adequate space for the size/fitment of the replacement. Looking it over before installing, it appeared that I wouldn't need them, so I gave it a shot. It fit and functioned as advertised.

20171220_211730.jpg

Here you can see the new LED flasher relay in the upper left.

With that job complete. Nearly all interior and exterior lighting has been converted to 24v LED at this point. The only holdouts are indicator lights in the gauge cluster and switches that have the mini/micro sized bulbs.

Last edited:
I got the Cruiser out of the garage today to warm it up and move fluids around. I'm looking to get it registered this week, so the state inspection will be required. The temps have been a bit above freezing here as of late, and some rain took care of most of the snow and road salt. A chance of showers early tomorrow might take care of the rest, so I will get it done before the snow and salt return.

I took a quick video of the LED turn signals at work. Along with the new tail lights it's quite a nice improvement.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, nice truck! I have a 91 HZJ77 and I am looking to replace the rear tail lights with a set of LEDs just like the ones you have before you changed the lenses to amber. Where exactly is the flasher? I still have mostly all incandescent bulbs. With the new rear LED tail lights I am having a issues when I use the indicator (L/R) both tail/break lights (LED portion) flashes, like an indicator. I am wondering if a LED flasher like yours would solve this issue. Thanks JD

Hi Mark, nice truck! I have a 91 HZJ77 and I am looking to replace the rear tail lights with a set of LEDs just like the ones you have before you changed the lenses to amber. Where exactly is the flasher? I still have mostly all incandescent bulbs. With the new rear LED tail lights I am having a issues when I use the indicator (L/R) both tail/break lights (LED portion) flashes, like an indicator. I am wondering if a LED flasher like yours would solve this issue. Thanks JD

The flasher relay should be in an exposed relay box under the divers-side dash just inboard of the steering shaft. I just put on my hazard lights and felt for the relay that was doing the clicking. I'm unsure of whether swapping this will fix your problem or not, but it will certainly correct the hyper-blinker issue.

Last edited:
Tiny Rig Co.
Back
Top Bottom