"Uno" the 2015 Tacoma

Used a 1/2 thick cutting board and a piano hinge to make a fold down table off the swing out. Temporarily using a bungee cord to hold it closed until I come up with a better solution.

20230304_172327.jpg

20230304_170114.jpg

Used a 1/2 thick cutting board and a piano hinge to make a fold down table off the swing out. Temporarily using a bungee cord to hold it closed until I come up with a better solution.

View attachment 61865

View attachment 61866

The SOS bumper I had was just a simple screw knob. I added a stainless lanyard from McMaster Carr.

Bolt
Nut
Bumper with counterbore. Flipped so the counterbore fits over the nut. Keeps it from rattling.
Hole through the cutting board. Use a countersink bit so the top can swing off the bolt.
Knob w/ lanyard.

Uno earned her keep today. First heavy load since installing the airbags, what a difference they make!

20230310_142001.jpg

20230310_142129.jpg

I need to find a 9 inch drop hitch that will work with the bumper....

9" is a long drop.

Raise the trailer a little, such as a springover.

You think this stumpgrinding thing will be a career move? :eek:

It's the little things.

Added a coat of paint to my diy bed slide since I've decided it works well enough to keep. Promptly got it filthy with a home depot run for garden soil.

20230430_200540.jpg

Added a 12v pump for washing dishes and people.

20230430_200545.jpg

More little things: sorting out the kitchen. For years I've had a love hate relationship with the Coleman camp stove that I've lugged around. It worked well enough, but was bulky and when stowed it rattled like the bedframes in a whore house. I've found that I've been gravitating to my backpacking gear to reduce size / weight and to calm my nerves thanks to the lack of rattling.

I decided to try to "make" an integrated stove using my cutting board fold down table. I ordered a couple of cheap backpacking style burners and drilled a hole in the cutting board to accommodate the splitter for the fuel bottle.

20230523_125118.jpg

20230523_125112.jpg

The results seem to work well, and I made lunch in the driveway today. (My neighbors think I'm odd.)

I've whittled my kitchen kit down to the two yellow topped Home Depot containers in the photo which makes packing a breeze, and in a happy little accident there's just enough room between the table and the tailgate to store one while in use. Wish I could say that was intentional.

More little things: sorting out the kitchen. For years I've had a love hate relationship with the Coleman camp stove that I've lugged around. It worked well enough, but was bulky and when stowed it rattled like the bedframes in a whore house. I've found that I've been gravitating to my backpacking gear to reduce size / weight and to calm my nerves thanks to the lack of rattling.

I decided to try to "make" an integrated stove using my cutting board fold down table. I ordered a couple of cheap backpacking style burners and drilled a hole in the cutting board to accommodate the splitter for the fuel bottle.

View attachment 62087

View attachment 62088

The results seem to work well, and I made lunch in the driveway today. (My neighbors think I'm odd.)

I've whittled my kitchen kit down to the two yellow topped Home Depot containers in the photo which makes packing a breeze, and in a happy little accident there's just enough room between the table and the tailgate to store one while in use. Wish I could say that was intentional.

"rattled like the bedframes in a whore house" - this experience should be in your adventure thread, not your build thread...... :pope

Did a little wandering somewhere new today.

20230606_143052.jpg

20230606_144650.jpg

It was wet and i got to break out the Maxtrax knock offs, they worked very well.

20230606_142546.jpg

Eventually hit a spot that looks fine in a photo, but was more than I wanted to tackle solo.

20230606_143030.jpg

So I headed home to find that playing in the woods can be costly.

20230606_172545.jpg

Toyota CV rebuild kit is on back order for a couple of months...

Just in case someone browsing the internet in the future could use the cross reference. I'll be hitting up Lexus dealers in the morning for a GX460 CV rebuild kit. Same as the Tacoma, but hopefully not back ordered for 2 months. :D

1686102879966.png

Toyota part: back ordered for months. Lexus part: hundreds in stock across multiple dealers in the SE. :rolleyes: Just have to pay an additional $8 in Lexus tax.

Toyota part: back ordered for months. Lexus part: hundreds in stock across multiple dealers in the SE. :rolleyes: Just have to pay an additional $8 in Lexus tax.
Thanks for the heads up on the short supply, wont take long for other folks to spend up for a Lexus part and deplete the supply. I put one kit on order last night when I seen your post.

I have been purchasing front suspension/steering/drive parts for my GX since I found a bent inner tie rod in March this year. It would drive me nuts to be 8+ hours from home in Podunk NV and break something and not have part availability for a week+!

Thanks for the heads up on the short supply, wont take long for other folks to spend up for a Lexus part and deplete the supply. I put one kit on order last night when I seen your post.

I have been purchasing front suspension/steering/drive parts for my GX since I found a bent inner tie rod in March this year. It would drive me nuts to be 8+ hours from home in Podunk NV and break something and not have part availability for a week+!

Picked up the Lexus kit today and swung by @Scott B. 's place to compare it to a Toyota kit he had (Toyota part # 04428-04010). Boots appear to be the same other than the Lexus outer having more ribs and a slightly different design on the inside. Length, diameter and mating surfaces where the clamps go are all identical.

The Toyota kit comes with bags of grease while the Lexus kit grease comes in tubes like toothpaste. Slightly less grease comes with the Lexus kit.

The only significant difference was the Toyota kit comes with 3 metal clips, the Lexus comes with only 2. According to YouTube Unversity there's no need for the 3rd clip. Maybe it was just extra in Scott's kit.

20230607_232506.jpg

20230607_232510.jpg

20230607_232515.jpg

Because I'm constantly short on time I grabbed a remanufactured cv axle to swap in, allowing me to take my time rebuilding the oem. I hate receiving the wrong part, and this one is just a wee bit short.

Screenshot_20230617_013415_Gallery.jpg

This one will be returning to its supplier and I'll grab a Napa one in the morning.

Attachments

• 20230616_204947.jpg
    20230616_204947.jpg
    985.1 KB · Views: 73
Napa CV axle installed.

20230617_190229.jpg

Seems to be good quality, but I don't care for the design of the inboard cover. The Toyota part has reliefs machined in that you can use to gently tap the axle into place and seat it in the differential.

Screenshot_20230617_190447_Gallery.jpg

The Napa part is smooth. So in my grandfather's words, "You have to be a real man" to install it. In reality that means there was grunting and cursing involved.

20230617_190225.jpg

Flushed the differential, took a test drive and there aren't any leaks, vibrations or odd noises... yet.

Put it on a smart house charger for a couple of days.

Sometimes, after a long weekend's use (like right now) the voltage drops, and the drive home may bring it up to 12V. A few days on the charger, we're up to 14 - all's good.

Put it on a smart house charger for a couple of days.

Sometimes, after a long weekend's use (like right now) the voltage drops, and the drive home may bring it up to 12V. A few days on the charger, we're up to 14 - all's good.

It'll charge up, but the fridge kills it in less than 3 hours of use. It's under warranty so I'm going to swap it for a new one.

Boy this thread hasn't been touched in a bit. Solved the battery problem months ago by throwing a 100ah Renogy AGM battery in the bed. It's been working like a charm.

Today, after finally remembering to order one before it was time for an oil change, I installed a Fumoto valve.

20240312_182549.jpg

It won't help my anxiety of possibly having oil gushing out randomly, but it will make oil changes easier. The oem drain plug bolt and a spare crush washer were tucked away in the glove box in case something horrible happens.

Back
Top Bottom