2022 Tundra

Screenshot_20210625-112454_Instagram.jpg

I actually thought I liked the look until that red one right there. Maybe I'll like a different trim package though. I think most of the leaks have been of the more off road focused trims. I at least like it better than the last two generations, regardless. They just looked like big marshmallows to me.

I actually thought I liked the look until that red one right there. Maybe I'll like a different trim package though. I think most of the leaks have been of the more off road focused trims. I at least like it better than the last two generations, regardless. They just looked like big marshmallows to me.

Agreed

Ok.. Holy crap.... I think it looks fantastic.. and they have a locker option for the rear!!
3" lift from the factory (TRDPro I think only).. fully boxed frame same as the 300 series.. Engine same as the 300 series... and finally CarPlay..

No mention of MPG or towing for the pro and only 1455lbs capacity (on the pro again) I was hoping for a Full ton but its 5lbs less than the 2021 Pro crewmax..
But...we can upgrade the springs in the rear and follow the GVM upgrade path I imagine.

Ok.. Holy crap.... I think it looks fantastic.. and they have a locker option for the rear!!
3" lift from the factory (TRDPro I think only).. fully boxed frame same as the 300 series.. Engine same as the 300 series... and finally CarPlay..

No mention of MPG or towing for the pro and only 1455lbs capacity (on the pro again) I was hoping for a Full ton but its 5lbs less than the 2021 Pro crewmax..
But...we can upgrade the springs in the rear and follow the GVM upgrade path I imagine.
I read an expected 22mpg

22mpg would be great wonder if that is the hybrid or the normal engine?
still better than the 200 series, and double my d90.

2 Air Boxes, & 1500lbs capacity..are the bummers so far.

the red TRDPro interior might be a bit much, have to see it in person.

I like most of what I'm hearing except two things.

1. "Hybrid" - I don't care if they put that in the 300 Series Land Cruiser or not, when I hear hybrid my mind thinks complexity and "dealer only" serviceability.
  • Standard i-FORCE 3.5L twin-turbo V6 produces up to 389 horsepower, 479 lb.-ft.
  • Available i-FORCE MAX powertrain produces up to 437 horsepower, 583 lb.-ft. - I LOVE HOW THEY SORT OF HIDE THE HYBRID PART WITH SNAZZY MARKETING HERE!
2. Max payload close to the same as a Ford Ranger (Tundra 1940 lbs vice Ranger 1860 lbs). But that’s only in a stripped down SR5 2WD.

After all these years in the US "full size market", Toyota STILL can't give us a decent payload that's on par with an F-150. To me that's the biggest letdown. Especially when everyone is droning on about "shared DNA" with the 300 Series.

just a point the hybrid is not shared with the 300 series only the normal 3.5TT is.
Payload is up to 1950lbs which I’m guessing is a Sr5 double cab short bed number,
Probably 4x2.. same for tow numbers.
but still less than an f-150

TRD Pro, which is likely to be the version most applicable in this genre, gets the i-Force Max hybrid.

What a goofy pairing IMO. If Jeep did the same crap with the Gladiator, putting the hybrid as the ONLY engine option in Rubicon or Mojave trim, it would have been a hard pass for me.

Now to be fair, this new twin turbo V6 hybrid i-Force Max engine may be the best Toyota motor of all time. But I'm not there yet when it comes to overland style travel and hybrid technology. Just my .02

Looks like the Tundra will feature the Sheet Molded Composite bed too. I never was a fan of it on my 2nd gen Tacoma o_O

I really like the 5 link rear suspension and think it will go a long way to help flex and ride. The payload and hybrid drivetrain is a let down. In 3-5 years we shall see how this works out for Toyota.

After all these years in the US "full size market", Toyota STILL can't give us a decent payload that's on par with an F-150. To me that's the biggest letdown. Especially when everyone is droning on about "shared DNA" with the 300 Series.

Speaking of this, by comparison the 300 Series Land Cruiser has a max payload of 870 kg or 1,920 lbs.

In it’s lowest capacity trim, the 300 has a payload of 735 kg or 1,620 lbs. And it’s sold as an “SUV”.

The Tundra TRD Pro, sold as a full size truck, has a payload of 1,455 lbs.

At least the TRD Pro Tundra beats the Ford Raptor’s payload of 1,400 lbs.

:)

They seem to be moving the TRDPro to the top of the model heap… probably a $65k truck before options now... my last one was 50k out the door, brand new.

For our uses.. I think it is too wide, and does not have the payload... the more i think about it... I am going to build the 200, the bar fine for springing it from soccer mom duty is pretty low since she wants an LR4.

I'll give up some in towing (8100 vs 11,000?) and payload (1320 vs 1455).

The Hybrid system does not scare me since they were 1st to the party with Hybrids.. the Nimh battery will be way less expensive to replace when it craps out, which it will eventually.

The Bed, I'm indifferent to, but it is loads better than my 04' duramax, which now has a nice self draining feature, and a some chipboard to keep things from falling through it.. curtsey of its first owner (landscaping company.. so i imagine it was loaded with wet dirt for the first 200k miles).

They seem to be moving the TRDPro to the top of the model heap… probably a $65k truck before options now... my last one was 50k out the door, brand new.

For our uses.. I think it is too wide, and does not have the payload... the more i think about it... I am going to build the 200, the bar fine for springing it from soccer mom duty is pretty low since she wants an LR4.

I'll give up some in towing (8100 vs 11,000?) and payload (1320 vs 1455).

The Hybrid system does not scare me since they were 1st to the party with Hybrids.. the Nimh battery will be way less expensive to replace when it craps out, which it will eventually.

The Bed, I'm indifferent to, but it is loads better than my 04' duramax, which now has a nice self draining feature, and a some chipboard to keep things from falling through it.. curtsey of its first owner (landscaping company.. so i imagine it was loaded with wet dirt for the first 200k miles).

I had a client on a mild overland trail at an event a couple weeks ago. He had a 2015 Tundra double cab TRD offroad. They are HUGE on a trail like what we were on. The break over was really low, ended up high centering the first big obstacle. I was not surprised but reinforced my thoughts on the fullsize truck game in general. They are for wide open spaces not technical trails.

A 200 or upcoming LX600 are better choices for technical trails although it better be a wide trail.

I can’t find the GVWR on the 2022 Tundra anywhere, but here’s the 2021:

6,900 to 7,200 lbs

Meanwhile, here’s the GVWR on a friends Ford Transit van….

74A6B74F-63AD-4ECA-A216-E7846E20FEBD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom