Equipt Expedition Outfitters

2nd Gen Tacoma fender bars

35inchoverdrive

Adventurist
We knocked out some fender bars at the shop, for a 2nd gen Tacoma.

Blue painter's tape is an essential part of any fab project.

DSC04932.JPG

3D bending is always fun. Our JD2 bender rolls around on an old transmission jack base, so it's super handy to be able to work at adjustable heights.
DSC02425.JPG

DSC04933.JPG

...a little mockup.
DSC04936.JPG

The exposed hardware is countersunk. There is a weld-in stud(not pictured) that passes through the bumper as well, making for three fasteners up front.
DSC04937.JPG

The slider attachment uses 4 pieces of hardware.
DSC04942.JPG

DSC04936.JPG

DSC04937.JPG

DSC04942.JPG

...one last shot of us checking tire fitment, after a body mount chop, with our 1979 OEM Toyota Flex-O-Meter Special Service Tool.
DSC04965.JPG

Looks really good Nathan, what do you use for primer and paint?

...the finished product.
View attachment 11800

Nice work Nathan. I guess Vince was busy SWAPPING MY FLIPPIN' ENGINE when this was going on. ;)

But on closer scrutiny in this picture what is that little doo-hickey just below the passenger side headlight and betwwen the grille, mounted to the bumper? That doesn't look like left over parts...

Looks really good Nathan, what do you use for primer and paint?

For some applications, we have a fancy weld-through primer, but in most cases, we rely on Rustoleum. We've found that with good prep, Rustoleum primer and paint hold up well to the salt and winter weather here. The really cheapy paints...not so much.

...on closer scrutiny in this picture what is that little doo-hickey just below the passenger side headlight and betwwen the grille, mounted to the bumper? That doesn't look like left over parts...

It's a fancy smancy on-board shower setup that we did. I need to get some good pictures of me using it before I can post up a proper build thread.

Yeaaah... the ones with Vince soaping your back... let's just keep those between us.

Toyota SST's are the best!

Nice work!

I have newer year model Toyota SSTs at work and while I'm a Toyota fan I prefer the Hyster SSTs as those damn booms on the Toys are a pain to see around.

Looks good. I'm confused on how they mount to the sliders. Any more pics of that area? Will they support excessive weight of the truck mounted the way I think their mounted at the sliders?

Looks good. I'm confused on how they mount to the sliders. Any more pics of that area? Will they support excessive weight of the truck mounted the way I think their mounted at the sliders?
Look at earlier post number 3 where they show brackets and fitment. What weight do you characterize as "excessive weight of the truck"? Fender nudge bars are merely designed to deflect trail obstacles like vegetation, not support 5000-6000 pounds of weight or displace rock formations. A full cage with frame-mounted with cross support would be required for that and is not in the desired characteristics for the owner of that vehicle.

Look at earlier post number 3 where they show brackets and fitment. What weight do you characterize as "excessive weight of the truck"? Fender nudge bars are merely designed to deflect trail obstacles like vegetation, not support 5000-6000 pounds of weight or displace rock formations. A full cage with frame-mounted with cross support would be required for that and is not in the desired characteristics for the owner of that vehicle.
Well i can see the brackets on the bars in three but it doesnt show me how they mount or what they mount to so yeah. I know they are generally used to push brush etc out of the way I was wondering what they were thinking they could deal with such as kissing a rock on a sideways glance, not laying the trucks weight on it as there is no support at the top area which would be needed for that. More of a curiousity of what they expected durability wise.

I don't have any additional close ups of the area where they mount to the slider. The square body of slider was drilled and tapped on the end, and on the inboard side near to the end. They are 2 inboard bolts and 2 end bolts where each bar attaches to each slider. They are reasonably stout. The customer has yet to bend them, or snap off either mounting end. I'm sure serious rock crawling could damage them, but I would expect them to hold up to anything that someone is going to do with a full-bodied truck. They are not as strong as a frame-mounted slider for sure, due to the lack of gussets/legs coming off of the frame etc.

Equipt Expedition Outfitters
Back
Top Bottom