GMRS - Is it the new Off-Road radio?

Scott B.

Adventurist
As the title states, is GMRS what most people (OK, the cool kids) are moving to for comms?

I know ham is widely used out west, and I have been planning to get my ham license for decades. In the meantime, is it a good idea to add GMRS?

I know should get my ham ticket...

I dumped the CB and put a 15 watt GMRS in the Tacoma. Got a handheld (5.5 watt Wouxun KG-935G) for the Crosstrek.

The license cost for GMRS dropped to $35. I don't see a need to use CB unless you like poor range, limited number of channels and talking to crazy truckers.

The only time I use CB is when in an active logging area and that's what the logging trucks are using.

I'm keeping my CB - there are times when it is useful.

As for off-road, I guess my question really is should I make the investment into ham (will I use it enough) or will GMRS suffice? It seems like GMRS is sweeping (OK, at least making inroads) through our community.

The only time I use CB is when in an active logging area and that's what the logging trucks are using.

Excellent point for CB. Nothing like running into a loaded log truck that’s coming downhill on a shelf road… easily avoidable if you know what CB channel they run.

That said, that’s about the only thing CB is good for today IMO

I'm keeping my CB - there are times when it is useful.

As for off-road, I guess my question really is should I make the investment into ham (will I use it enough) or will GMRS suffice? It seems like GMRS is sweeping (OK, at least making inroads) through our community.

Depends. What do the people you’re most likely running with use?

As the title states, is GMRS what most people (OK, the cool kids) are moving to for comms?

I know ham is widely used out west, and I have been planning to get my ham license for decades. In the meantime, is it a good idea to add GMRS?

I know should get my ham ticket...

Same boat. The #1 problem I have with HAM is the antiquated licensing system. Clinging to #2 pencils and “clubs” with nerdy gatekeepers is an unnecessary barrier to new or young people that is likely killing the hobby slowly over time.

Same boat. The #1 problem I have with HAM is the antiquated licensing system. Clinging to #2 pencils and “clubs” with nerdy gatekeepers is an unnecessary barrier to new or young people that is likely killing the hobby slowly over time.

I have a 40 min commute to work so I listened to this on my way from home and back until a test was available in my area.
The Fast Track to Your Technician Class Ham Radio License (updated to the version that covers all FCC technician class exam questions July 1, 2022 Through June 30, 2026)

The Yaesu VX-6R that I have can receive but not transmit on FM, GMRS, CB and a bunch of other bands.

I have all three radio systems.

The CB , with a properly tuned antenna, works well for what it is. Monitoring on logging roads and the Interstates for traffic updates. If you have a CB go to a truck stop with a CB shop and get your antenna tuned. It does make a difference.

Ham has many features but I only use simplex. VHF is a better frequency outdoors than UHF.

I got GMRS because so many people were getting them rather than Hams. The UHF frequency works better indoors and does not work as well outdoors as VHF. The other issue is the amount of users on the same channels. Just about every store uses these radios and the channels can be filled up with chatter. So using a GMRS in a city is annoying with the amount of traffic on it.

Using a high DB gain antenna mounted as high as possible on your vehicle helps performance in all three systems.

Last edited:
Depends. What do the people you’re most likely running with use?

Sure, that's the obvious question. I am looking for the most versatile solution. :D

I ride with people with CB - some of which probably won't change (their needs/uses are what they are.) I know a lot of folks out west that run ham - but I don't ride with then often (once a year usually.)

I am wondering if GMRS will become the "standard" like CB was back in the day. Of course, with that, comes all the BS that ruins things...

I know it might be technically illegal but I have my Kenwood mobile ham radio programmed with GMRS channels so I have the best of both in one device. When I use GMRS I turn the power down to 15 watts and it works really well.

Sure, that's the obvious question. I am looking for the most versatile solution. :D

I ride with people with CB - some of which probably won't change (their needs/uses are what they are.) I know a lot of folks out west that run ham - but I don't ride with then often (once a year usually.)

I am wondering if GMRS will become the "standard" like CB was back in the day. Of course, with that, comes all the BS that ruins things...
Many people are using GMRS due to the range and the lack of the critical tuning a CB needs to work properly.

Back
Top Bottom