Power Wagon Build

Went a totally different direction this weekend, in every attempt to appease the wife and daughters....hard sided was a new requirement.

My PW.jpg

Thanks....drive great just need to remember how tall I am now ...lol.

Yes. I have the Habitat up for sale. Loved, loved, loved it, perfect set up for max 3 or 4. But now the cousins are coming on trips and both my girls need "the door closed" when they hit the head. The trials and tribulations of being a girl dad.

50,000 miles was about the limit on the Fox 2.0's. Went whole hog on a set of Carli tuned King 2.5's and new rear Carli springs. Holy guacamole are these things are butter smooth.

Also, continuing to break in the new Scout. Other than a lack of a shower (the girls newest "issue"). It's amazing to just be able to jump in and go. Hit up Emma Woods SB in Ventura for a quick overnighter.
20220724_100203.jpg
20220724_100215.jpg
20220724_170703.jpg
20220724_170855.jpg
20220724_170906.jpg
20220724_200806.jpg
20220724_100203.jpg
20220724_100215.jpg
20220724_170703.jpg
20220724_170855.jpg
20220724_170906.jpg
20220724_200806.jpg

Put the new suspension and Scout to good use this weekend. Headed up to Kennedy Meadows to try to Fly Fish......but alas the water is crazy low. Tried to get down to Monache Medows but as knarly as the trail was to get down to the valley, the final grouping of trees right past the boundary gate made me turn around. Definitely found the limits of this set up. Still happy with the choice but will need to pair down the difficulty level of trails I hit...lol.

20220902_100531.jpg
20220902_133731.jpg
20220902_133746.jpg
20220902_205602.jpg
20220903_164129.jpg
20220903_190939.jpg
20220903_215850.jpg

Ha Ha Ha, Lots of changes in three pages! As a father of three I feel your pain and have been there myself with several changes to my rig over the years as well. I "think" I'm at a point with my rig where we are very happy. It was cool seeing your SCOUT on a Power Wagon.

Dave and Tim would love to come but I'll be in Monterey for work Thursday through Saturday. Unless I can tell my boss I'm bailing on Friday....I'll give it a shot.

Dave, the change is really due to access to fishing spots I thought I could get to. That trip down Monache Jeep trail was the start, but in Wyoming there were amazing fishing spots that I just couldn't get to. Really pissed me off to not be able to get to those areas due to tree heights or bridge heights, etc.

Also wanted to get some of my payload back. Even with the crap ton of Carli and Thuren goodies, I felt nervous with the load. Waaayyyy better now. I did like the hard side component, so it's a bit of a sacrifice, but I "feel" better about the switch.....for know...lol. I don't want to say this is it for fear of embarrassing myself.

Dave and Tim would love to come but I'll be in Monterey for work Thursday through Saturday. Unless I can tell my boss I'm bailing on Friday....I'll give it a shot.

Dave, the change is really due to access to fishing spots I thought I could get to. That trip down Monache Jeep trail was the start, but in Wyoming there were amazing fishing spots that I just couldn't get to. Really pissed me off to not be able to get to those areas due to tree heights or bridge heights, etc.

Also wanted to get some of my payload back. Even with the crap ton of Carli and Thuren goodies, I felt nervous with the load. Waaayyyy better now. I did like the hard side component, so it's a bit of a sacrifice, but I "feel" better about the switch.....for know...lol. I don't want to say this is it for fear of embarrassing myself.

Well would love to see you be at DRV but totally get the work thing. And Monterey isn't a bad place to be for sure. Be safe and keep the posts coming!

Finally got around to the weak stopping power of the PW. At 65k miles it was time for a full Rotor/Pad replacement.

I cowboy'd up an went full EBC slotted black series rotors and EBC Yellow's. installing as I type, so will need to bed them in properly and will report back in performance.

20221218_131637.jpg
20221218_131633.jpg

Look great! I had the EBC pads on my PW and recently replaced them with the Powerstop Z36 pads on the front. I maintain the factory rotors. They both function great. May be a different story if I swapped in the matching rotors.
Look forward to your thoughts on the combo.

This mod is nearing the top of the Power Wagon "to-do" list. Since the factory brakes still feel adequate, I took care of most everything else first, but for peace of mind it's going to get done. Better brakes with the extra weight I have can't be a bad thing. I've been looking at the Power Stop kits but would like more feedback on the EBC once you get them broke in. I'm still a few months out from pulling the trigger as I'm working on completing the interior build in January.

So I hit 200 miles this am on the way out to the desert for some plinking and to break in the new Beretta 1301. Found a long stretch of empty road near Stoddard Wells and did the recommended "bedding". Five reps of 60, hard break down to 20 back to 60 and repeat. From what I have been reading you do this procedure twice with a long cooling period in between each sequence.

So they absolutely do stop this truck and it's VERY noticable. They are still squeaking a bit but let me see how they do over the next few days. If they continue to squeak, that may be a deal breaker.

I was going to get the Power Stop set up as I have them on my 200 series LC and have been very happy, but decided to pay $200 more to give the EBC's a try. Happy so far. Although the Power Stops never squeaked.

I have been running the same EBC Black rotors with the Orange Extra Duty pads for years. They stop fantastic with minimal noise once seated but be ready for brake dust everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom