Recovery Gear: Ongoing Discussion and Reviews

While working at Expo PNW I temporarily mounted up the Hawse Pro 4.12 roller hawse fairlead for demonstration purposes. This will be going on my business partners 07 Tacoma with a Demello front bumper. He purchased it and we will be conducting long tern test and evaluation. We often pull line numerous times over the course of a training event so this will see many more cycles than a recreational user will ever use there winch.

The Roller Hawse mitigates the high friction of the Hawse fairlead under a heavy load thus lower temperatures and melting of synthetic winch line.

The price point on this has come down quite a bit as the manufacturing process has been streamlined and now retails for $369.00. This is going too be a fun vetting process.

https://hawsepro.com/

HP1.jpg
HP2.jpg

Last edited:
Many here are likely already aware of this recent incident, but another good reminder not to use a trailer mount specifically, and the forces that can be involved in general. This was fatal.
1659459772412.png

I think the assertion is that you could go straight from the F55 hook to the D-ring on the bumper, rather than going D-ring to D-ring?

I believe the D-ring hole on the F55 hook would be best used when linking up to a tree strap, etc. rather than trying to use the hook there.

Looks like in this instance the diameter of the shackle on the Jeep isn't large enough to support using the hook thus the additional shackle. Perhaps a soft shackle wasn't available?

You probably don't want to soft shackle into the Jeep bumper loop - most likely has sharp corners/no rounding of the corners.

Just a guess...

Right... most bumpers are not made for soft shackles (still..) so using the Ultra Hook this is really your only option to hook it up..
but in reality its marketing over function and safety. the ultrahook seems like it was designed to simply throw the winch line around something (rock, tree, whatever..) and attach directly back to its self like they do in Ultra4 or trials competition racing.. basically only speed counts on a closed race course so stuff like this gets done.

Totally not recommended for any off-road recovery situation, so its flat out the wrong tool for the job.

I was playing around with them at Expo East this past weekend while I was working a booth.... you cannot fit tree straps though the hook (at least the ARB ones I had access to..) So you hav etc use the hole with a shackle, and even some soft shackles are a tight fit.

It's a marketing gimmick in my mind... there are much better and simpler solutions, like. standard hook, the Flatlink-E or the other one that fits a shackle through it. I shoot for he simplest, lest gear intensive solutions on my personal truck.. I just have an eyelet

I agree. I think the UltraHook is designed-by-marketing product.

F55 is all about Closed System Winching (which is very safe, and a good idea, IMHO), but most/all the competitors have hooks. So, most of the (uneducated) public/customer base only understand using a hook. At least with the UltraHook, users will be exposed to Closed System, so hopefully some will come to understand it, and use it.

Back
Top Bottom