AT Overland Equipment

The Grey Mouser: Reboot

This was our gear load for the trip…

BF706492-475C-4A44-91EC-4B2A5FCA0A70.jpeg

3 Rigid boxes: Camp kitchen, Camp Sundries and a Consumable box.

1 Mountain Alps table

1 Empty Water Jerry can.

2 Day Packs

2 Camp chairs

2 Dry Bags of Clothes (including winter stuff)

1 Tent ladder ( that never got mounted)

CAA964B4-C5A5-42B9-BC96-DACEEE1DC490.jpeg

Down Jackets and hats and gloves went in the molle bags hanging off the ceiling rack.

A96B2A47-72D6-4827-8AE8-E85BF29437DE.jpeg

Fridge and snack box in the backseat, spare shoes on the floor. Sundry other bits in the backseat scabbard.

This was our gear load for the trip…

View attachment 58333

3 Rigid boxes: Camp kitchen, Camp Sundries and a Consumable box.

1 Mountain Alps table

1 Empty Water Jerry can.

2 Day Packs

2 Camp chairs

2 Dry Bags of Clothes (including winter stuff)

1 Tent ladder ( that never got mounted)

View attachment 58334

Down Jackets and hats and gloves went in the molle bags hanging off the ceiling rack.

View attachment 58335

Fridge and snack box in the backseat, spare shoes on the floor. Sundry other bits in the backseat scabbard.

I really need to simplify my load out . . . . . . again

I really dislike mounting and unmounting the Wilco tire carrier. It’s a pain. But even giving the receiver hitch a liberal coating of marine grease before inserting that damn carrier wants to stick in the receiver even if it’s been on for just a couple weeks. Running it during the salt months would make the Wilco a permanent mount. Got to take a different approach.

I really don’t want to put a heavy swing out bumper on, but I also don’t want to have to crawl through a mud hole to get the spare out of the stock location if I bury the truck. What to do, what to do…

Maybe consider moving the spare inside. Secure it to the front wall of the bed. Keeps that weight amidships, and the tire protected from UV etc.

This would be much better than cantilevered off the back behind the axle.

You’d actually decrease weight that way by deleting the Wilco and not adding any more steel in the form of a heavier bumper and swing out.

It’s that or the stock location IMO.

Having the swing out puts a ton of weight at the rearmost point and prevents leaving the tailgate down to transport long items that won't fit in the bed.

My spare tire would rub on the back of the differential housing (just slightly) as the suspension cycled so I wouldn't want to put it back underneath unless I went down a tire size from 255-85R16. The swing out also makes a nice table mount and holds my water can in a convenient place for using the pump.

Damned if you do etc...

Don't forget - if the tire is inside, and you get a flat at midnight, in the rain, on a muddy trail, you have to empty the contents of the bed into the mud.

And, you get to put the flat, muddy tire inside your at one time clean truck.

Just trying to help..... :p

Yeah, I’m trying to avoid that scenario. Probably just going to keep the status quo. I can’t think of an ideal solution that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg or add so much more weight.

Mount it toward the back and get a tire cover. You can roll out/in a muddy tire w/o having to unpack everything in the bed. The tire cover will help prevent dragging the dirt into your sleeping bags.

https://spiritof1876.com/collection...-truck-bed-spare-mount?variant=39609626853551

IMG_4320.jpg

Don't forget - if the tire is inside, and you get a flat at midnight, in the rain, on a muddy trail, you have to empty the contents of the bed into the mud.

And, you get to put the flat, muddy tire inside your at one time clean truck.

Just trying to help..... :p

Sshhhh…. We almost had this in the bag! :lol

Ditch the other back seat and mount it opposite of the fridge, balanced load side to side, front to back. If you have a dirty damaged tire slip contractor 55 gallon trash bag over it.

Goose Gear
Back
Top Bottom