2018 Taco TRD Offroad

Looks dead sexy on there Greg, @Terrapod will love the look of this exotic setup!

:jump:

The permanent ladder on the back is icing on cake.

I was thinking of swinging south then west on my way to DRV. Get into some warmer weather. Plan on paying a visit to Terrapod HQ if time permits for either of us.

I can crawl in directly from the back or from the driver side.

I also didn't order two spares. The driver side was supposed to be a jerrycan holder where I planned to carry 5 gallons of water. It's not like I could send it back and even if I could I wasn't going to wait for the round trip.

It does make a good place to sit on.

PXL_20220123_194154501.jpg

Horrible road noise in the cab after I've taken off the back panel and replaced it with the molle rack. Can't imagine why.
PXL_20220203_162320058.jpg

I've tried foam with no luck so I'm just going to cap them and use them as cable pass throughs from the canopy.

The hole I put in for the flexible conduit between the cab and the bed for the antenna cables has been converted into a pressure relief valve.
PXL_20220203_162325634.jpg

It's simply a conduit adapter, spring, cap, locknut, and plug with the spring on one side keeping the plug closed on the other. There's not a lot of tension on the spring and it's adjustable.
Screenshot_20220203-113800~2.png

Stainless hardware. In addition to the hole drill in the top for the bolt. Holes we're also drilled in the side of the cap to make it easier for air to get past it.

The cab noise is not a joke.

I put sound deadening on the cab wall, ensolite foam on top of that, then a piece of BedRug carpet under my molle panel. I replaced the foam in the vents with a higher density foam.

It all helped, but I still have noise in the cab. Unfortunately, it is mostly gear whine from my rear end.

I've got quarter inch ABS plastic that I plan to use as the caps. I've also got some sound deadening foam leftover as well. Will it work or will I just create drum heads? Let's find out!

The cab noise is not a joke.

I put sound deadening on the cab wall, ensolite foam on top of that, then a piece of BedRug carpet under my molle panel. I replaced the foam in the vents with a higher density foam.

It all helped, but I still have noise in the cab. Unfortunately, it is mostly gear whine from my rear end.

Install that supercharger and you'll balance the whine out by having it come from both ends. :D

This evenings project. 2 goals. Prevent the wing nuts from backing off and protect the exposed threads. It'll get a plastic lining once I find something suitable.

PXL_20220324_234518066.jpg

What started out as installing a skid plate in 2 or so hours turned into a day and a half of wire wheel and POR15 rattle can corrosion control on the frame.

There were a few catalytic converter thefts in this area so I went with Talons Garage's skid plate.

PXL_20220403_152801317.jpg
PXL_20220403_152856283.jpg
PXL_20220403_162214199.jpg

Greg is there room in that to leave a sleeping bag in there full time?

I haven't really tried it*. With an external height of 5" and the thickness of the composite you need to either have to deflate the mattress to leave the sleeping bag in there or leave the mattress inflated and remove the sleeping bag to allow space for the sidewalls.

The Solo more so than the XL. Proportionally the solo has more tent sidewall for the internal space available then the XL The XL's back wall is about 20 in wider. Side walls are identical. The XL is also a half inch higher. If you use a 3" high exped and not too heavy of a sleeping bag you could probably leave both in the XL full time.

* I picked up a exped megamat in Denver on my way to Island in the Sky in 2019 because my bed mat sucked. @ 4" high when fully inflated there's no way I could. Having slept on it though there's no way I'm going to give it up.

Last edited:
Under the front skid plate done. With the transmission skid plate sliding under the front there are 1/4" spacers for the 4 front bolts. This required 4 new bolts. M12 1.25mm pitch. 70mm front and 100mm middle.

PXL_20220405_225933058.jpg

Back
Top Bottom