They look alright to me, but I'm no purist. As for opening them up, I recently watched a video that said 275* for 7 minutes. Do some research to verify if you go that route. And I would double check the conversion to Celsius.:)

Well I attempted to remove the lenses and paint, but those things are really on there. Not even a hint of getting the seal soft after heating to 275. I will see if they grow on me, and hope Trucklite takes my suggestion on a classic looking option.

I recently installed the heated LED headlights from Rigid / Trucklite on my Jeep and was not overly impressed with how they look. I am overly impressed with how they function. Everytime I walk by, I notice them. Others don't. As I spend the majority of the time behind the wheel, instead of in front of the grille, I'm learning to get over it.

I like the way they look. And the way they work. Awesome lighting upgrade.

Outstanding, your new rig looks great.

I'm with you on the trucklites taking away from the classic look, however seeing the picture with the output and clear cut off really does highlight the function of them and, in my book, that can take precedent. Hopefully, by the time I convince my wife to sell her Sienna and we buy a 77 (I can dream can't I:rolleyes:) they'll figure a way to instill that classic look... lol.

The only fear we have about working on this most excellent rig is... it's going to cost us a fortune. We'll see it, we'll drive it, we'll fall in love and then off to Craigslist with the Goose Gear 4Runner :)

Congrats on landing the Unicorn.
[emoji1] Maybe so.

We'll be in touch when I get it back on home soil. I have some ideas and a couple of problems we would need to brainstorm.

After two months away from my home here in Iwakuni I returned to hit this milestone on the way home from the airport.

3f04c674d15939ba2c0f4901d377f59d.jpg

Truly it has barely been broken in.

While I was away, a couple parts came in. As you can see in most of the photos, the rear quarter panels look unfinished. They have the lovely holes for trim showing due to the factory rear bumper being removed by the previous owner.

The design of the factory bumper ties the trim into the end caps, so when an aftermarket rear bumper is installed the trim is lost and the holes are exposed. Many seem to do body work to fill them in or use a bumper that has a plate that covers up this area. I managed to find a company that made some excellent composite trim to cover this area. These were hard to find and even harder to purchase. In the end, my friends' Japanese wife had to call around, find a retailer, and order them for me. She is a saint!

So, before:

ba3717514906f3ff7e5bdb0cab0e1964.jpg

...and after:

5cbedf9675bf2293b63a1967bea303d3.jpg

A little further out.

4252ae04d222509c5262e509d789b77f.jpg

I'm very happy with how well these fit and blend with the factory trim on the doors. It's a high quality answer that I feel is better than filling in factory panels.

Last edited:
So, all my time and energy nearly went to waste yesterday. I installed a set of LED dome lights to replace the amazingly dim stock bulbs. I sought out LEDs that were specifically advertised as 12-24v units. They lit very brightly for 30 seconds to a minute and then very effectively started melting through the dome light covers. By the time I saw/smelled the problem and managed to switch them off, the adhesive backing on the LED circuit board for both had started smoking. :mad:

Had I left them unattended too much longer, I'm sure they would have started something on fire. Now I'm not sure where to look/buy 24v automotive LED replacements that I feel I can trust. All tend to be cheaply constructed, are unbranded, and have no assurance of quality control. Any advice on where to look would be appreciated.

:panic

37 mm Festoon (31-41mm adapter) for the two domes and one BA9s for the map light.

After that carnage, I'd consider upgrading to the Rigid dome lights. Unless you're stuck on OEM look.

FWIW, the LED dome and map lights in the Tacoma were from superbrightleds dot com. Never had an issue in years of use.

After that carnage, I'd consider upgrading to the Rigid dome lights. Unless you're stuck on OEM look.

The dome light housings are fine, but the covers will need replacements... they are the same housings and covers that are used in my Tacoma surprisingly. Are those Rigid dome lights or the retrofit lights they sell 24v? I don't see that published.

FWIW, the LED dome and map lights in the Tacoma were from superbrightleds dot com. Never had an issue in years of use.

I've used this site a bunch in the past, but no 24v options for automotive bulbs unless I missed them.

Back
Top Bottom