Hey Mark, we can get UL listed 24V strip lights if your interested, no Festoons or simple plug and play but 24V and UL listed...

And everyone started chanting...

... Modify! Modify! Modify!

:stir

Hey Mark, we can get UL listed 24V strip lights if your interested, no Festoons or simple plug and play but 24V and UL listed...

Thanks for the heads up. I won't rule that out for a fold down table on the rear door, but would still like to get the domes upgraded. The factory firefly lighting goes back in for now.

I had been planning since I purchased the cruiser to replace the front grill with what some call the "poverty pack" version. It lacks the chrome bezel and adds a nicely visible contrasting white "TOYOTA" in the center. You would think that would be easy enough to find in the country that produced the thing, but not so much. They refer to it as "the export grill" because it wasn't really offered from the factory here on the Japanese models. Most just paint the chrome grill black and call it a day. That would be an easy to do, but if you've ever done that to a front end part you know that the paint requires constant touch-up for chips. If you don't keep up with the touch-up's, it starts looking pretty bad quickly. I was finally able to find and land one this week and start, Operation De-chrome.

54c84ca2835b315c48dc5ac522fc3f57.jpg

Before:

f1db876aa78b9f0e75bd5e2ba8c60758.jpg

Here's a crummy early morning cell phone shot in the rain. The Diesel emblem will go back on once I manage to extract the severely corroded screws from it.

After:

fe30dc38b54746802d2775a73f632b9f.jpg

Last edited:
It's so... Dark. The dechrome really changes the looks now. IMHO perhaps it needs the contrast back in the headlights.

It's so... Dark. The dechrome really changes the looks now. IMHO perhaps it needs the contrast back in the headlights.

As you know, I kind of agree with you on that, but I will say that picture was taken at about 5:15 in the morning on a rainy day. The grill isn't as dark as it appears in the photo, and the lights do look lighter in daylight.

Superbrightled.com is a trust worthy source, I buy a ton from them for work. I also have some stuff that might work for you, but it would be bare wires

As you know, I kind of agree with you on that, but I will say that picture was taken at about 5:15 in the morning on a rainy day. The grill isn't as dark as it appears in the photo, and the lights do look lighter in daylight.

I was going to say it could've been the lighting and the photo quality, and it may as well be. Pictures usually don't do things justice anyways. As long as you're happy with it :D

As I'm nearing the one year mark until I import this truck, I have been pushing hard on completion of my list. Some boxes have arrived in the last 3 weeks, and more progress will be happening soon.

e1f401cc5d4826741a1edb9a4aa981f7.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it was time to at least start on some of those boxes this weekend. It was the first rain free weekend in a long while, so I didn't have any excuses.

First up is getting some power for accessories. Most vehicles, of course, run on 12v power. That was something I took for granted before diving into 70 series ownership. These earlier heavy duty diesels received 24v power... fantastic for running high amp items like the factory 24v winch and the 1HZ's starter, but certainly limiting for everything else. Converting the whole vehicle to 12v would be a bit expensive and really quite unnecessary. Some have added a third battery for a dedicated 12v power system, but I really don't see the need. My Engel (currently state-side) can run on 24v without modification and runs more efficiently than on 12v. That is really the only major accessory that I will need to support. Everything else can be worked around by either buying 24v compatible accessories or by using a converter.

The converter will help me power anything that I can't or doesn't make sense to use with 24v. I purchased one of these to help me out:

51lsCklaIuL.jpg

With 720w of power, it should provide more than enough for my needs and is small enough to mount discreetly here:

1ba7d4af695379a693099908b6a0c602.jpg

...and a little further out:

cce413f6048edd10e3f9d35db1f2d872.jpg

It's hard to see in the pictures, but it clears the clutch pedal by about an inch and in no way interferes with foot placement. Just some simple hardware was required to clamp it in place and it almost looks like it was designed to be there. Now, I just need to order a fuse block to help me distribute power and finish the wiring. Once I do that, I will add USB power for charging my tablet and any other mobile devices. I might convert the stock cigarette lighter socket to 12v too, but haven't decided if it will be worth the time.

Nothing bad... at least yet. Just background and tech. Weather is hampering the install. We've had one day without rain in the last two weeks.

In the meantime, here is another awful rainy cell phone parking lot picture of the new wheels:

a05309f7a9acc2b1e19932aacffab8d1.jpg

Last edited:
All I wanna see is snorkel :box
If this weather continues...

1bc8d431ad2cf797b6f4d6a538669edc.jpg

1. I might not be able to install this snorkel.

2. I might need it to drive anywhere.

... Seriously though, it takes a lot to get a desert dweller to tire of rain. Apparently three straight weeks is my limit.

Back
Top Bottom